changing sprockets - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

changing sprockets

well i have decided to swap my sporckets out. i have a few questions and they may be pretty dumb, but here it goes. my main objective is to increase ease of doing wheelies. however i dont really want to loose more than 10-15 mph off my top end. I have a 05' 636. dont know how many teeth need to go count them. Anyways...how many teeth should i increase or decrease forn and rear? After doing some searches i was thinking down one in the front and up 3-5 in rear. But then again i dont really know what i am talking about. I was also hoping to keep the same chain so i know i cant change the sprockets too drastically. One more questoin. I went to a site and not only did i have to choose how many teeth, but pitch as well. Whats the difference between 520, 525, 530? The site has no explanations. PLease help. thanks
Just went out and counted teeth. Stock 15/44. Do you think i could go -1/+2-3 and keep my chain?

Last edited by Motorhead0320; 11-26-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 02:41 PM

First of all, if you are still street riding, then you don't want to change it too drastically. To make it come up easier, you should just go up 2 or 3 in the rear...you will be surprised in the difference. You will have to change your chain as well.

According to http://www.jtsprockets.com you have a 15/ 40 combination with a 520 chain, 108 teeth. The 520 is the chain size, mostly width. A 530 chain is wider, but many of the newer bikes are running 520 or 525 chains...varies per bike.

Double check your rear sprocket, because someone might have changed it already, or my info might not be the most accurate. I know that is the same set up I have on my '03 636.

If you change your sprockets, you can just order a 125 tooth chain and cut it down to what ever size you need...this is one of the easiest changes you will ever do to your bike and you will see the biggest difference.

C-Ya...Skiv

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

after doing some searches some websites said i could make minor changes without changing my chain. when i counted i got 15/43, so i had planned on changing to 14/46. I still mostly use my bike for street use so i dont want a drastic change but i could love to get some better low end. my bike is totally stock so i dont have to worry about someone elses mods. thanks for the info

Last edited by Motorhead0320; 11-28-2005 at 03:40 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 01:38 AM

You also have to remember that if you go down 1 tooth in the front, it is like going up approx 2.5 teeth in the rear. That is as for the gearing, not the chain length.

Here's a couple articles you can read.
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0008_gearing/
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0306_grng/

And here's a chart you can use to tell you what your gearing will be. It's not the one I was looking for, but it should do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (42.5 KB, 67 views)

C-Ya...Skiv

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

i found a set for $60 to go +2 in rear and -1 front. the company says i dont need a new chain. are they full of crap or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode