are wheelies bad for your forks? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

are wheelies bad for your forks?

someone told me this, wondering if it's true or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 04:24 AM

If you come down hard you can damage the seals. Once you know what you are doing and set it down nice and easy theres no damage.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 05:04 AM

Obviously stunting isnt "good" for your bike. But if done properly the wear is fairly minimal. However if you land a wheelie too hard you risk damaging your fork seals, and your steering bearings

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 05:17 AM

Yeah, its bad for your forks. Its unusually punishing to your forks and, even done properly MOST of the time, will eventually cause premature wear, damage or failure to your forks. It could NEVER fail, but you increase the odds of some type of damage.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 05:01 PM

Wheelies are not bad for your forks....the bad landings are. Fortunatly, mostly what you will have problems with are fork seals and the fluid, which you can change in your garage if you have a little bit of mechanical sense. Even if you have a shop do them, the price shouldn't hurt you too much.

C-Ya...Skiv

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 05:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

My fork oil came out metallic blue on my R1. Yeah, they can fuck shit up.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
or s3sportbikes.com
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 12:56 PM

when done properly, they are no problem. I've seen this questioned asked a million times. Usually by people who are just learning or who ride with morons. When PROPERLY executed, your wheelie landing should compress your shocks no more than going over a speed bump at the local hadji mart. Assuming you can actually ride out a wheelie, when you're done with it, you dont just let of the throttle and hammer the bitch into the ground. Tap your rear brake to bring it out of bp, then simply accellerate a bit and the wheel will gracefully fall back to the ground. I've done more highchairs and spreaders on my bike than I can count... ( thats me sitting on the tank when the wheelie comes down adding another 190 lbs and momentum) ...still on the same set of forks. The bike isn't built to be wheelied, so expect some where and tear... but just cause you toss up a wheelie here or there, doesn't mean you're definately gonna have to buy new forks. You should be more worried about looping than your forks.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

I always landed my front end well on the throttle. You can't always land perfectly, sometimes, you need to bring the front down in a hurry... non the less, I probably had 10,000 miles of wheelies on the forks when they were beat.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
or s3sportbikes.com
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:06 PM

well there ya have it. 10,000 miles is more than most people put on thier bikes before selling them nowadays anyhow. I'd like to think that 10k worth of wheelies is well worth the price of some new seals and a little oil (approx 45 bucks tops if you can do it yourself)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
well there ya have it. 10,000 miles is more than most people put on thier bikes before selling them nowadays anyhow. I'd like to think that 10k worth of wheelies is well worth the price of some new seals and a little oil (approx 45 bucks tops if you can do it yourself)
New seals ain't gonna fix metallic fork oil bro. That's completely beat forks.

or s3sportbikes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode