keeping it up - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

keeping it up

i have an 05 636 and i have been trying to learn how to wheelie. I am able to clutch it up in first and in second, but i cant seem to keep it up. I guesss i am shutting the throttle down without thinking about it or something. Do i need to just give it more throttle or what? I dont know if i have gotten it to the BP. Is it one of those things when you hit the BP you will just know it? Because i sure cant tell how high up i am really getting it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 01:41 PM

How long have you been riding?
How long do you ride out the wheelie, both in feet and seconds.
Chances are you are putting your weight forward and/or shutting the throttle.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

cant ride it longer than 3-4 seconds probably, about 20 feet or so then it drops down pretty quick. by the time i realize i got the front end up a decent amount, its on its way back down. been riding bikes for years but not doing wheelies and such

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 06:59 PM

I am right there with you. I bring that front end up as high as I can and I get scared and drop it. I can ride it for 10 seconds if I dont bring it up real high. I just sort of pop it up a little and chase it. As far as the balance point, I think it is higher, but I am not willing to do that yet.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 03:47 AM

You are way below bp. You will know when you hit it, the front wheel just floats and you feel like you are going to fall off.

Once you get the front wheel up a good amout, its all about throttle control. Take it slowly and bring it up a bit higher everytime. You are letting off the throttle too much so it comes down, either that or you are chasing it to the rev limiter and not bringing it high enough.

It just take time and practice, sounds like you have the basics down, now all it takes is time and work.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:12 AM

From here its just practice... You gotta force yourself not to drop it, and stay on the gas. But COVER THE REAR BRAKE! please! I used to chop the throttle immideatly after the front came up...
I found that what helped me is to find a road that runs NS and do it at a time when I can see a good shadow of myself. This way I knew how high I was bringing it. BP is around 1 o'clock at low speeds, so I tried staying well below it, but trying to control where I stayed (about 1:30) Of course, you gain speed like mad that low, so be carefull. The idea is just to learn to control height with throttle.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I tried a few earlier today and i did the best one yet. I think i was actually up for 10 seconds or so. I was definetly chasing it. I think my prob is i just get scared if its too high and hit the brake. If i keep it low i feel comfortable. Just gonna keep trying to get a little higher each time. Thanks for the input. I am sure the biggest prob is that i care too much about my bike. I know i should buy a stunt bike but i cant afford to insure two bikes and i dont want to not inusre it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
and i dont want to not inusre it
Good call.

I wish I could afford to keep my bike and buy a new one. That way I could stunt my old one and baby my new one.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

thinking of buying a cage for while i learn to wheelie. If i can learn them i will be fine...for a while anyway!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 02:35 PM

Cages are $$, but worth every penny imo. Get a good one though. Or you're just wasting your money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode