Wheely capabilities of a 93 katana 600 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to RyPkr_99
Wheely capabilities of a 93 katana 600

So this is my first bike and everything i read says its garbage for stunts. But it was cheap, a pretty good starter bike for me and not that big of a deal if it gets trashed. The previous owner has it geared snappier too. I don't know which sprocket was changed or how much but thats what he told me.

I am still new to this with just a tad over 4k miles under my belt. I will gear up, be in a safe spot and be cautious.

I've been doing wheelies for a while (relative) now and all I seem to be able to do is clutch it up in first. I'm pretty consistent at getting it to the BP and my best ride is probably about a half of block.

What I want to know is what is capable on this heavy ass bike? Could a good rider power it up in first? Should I even care if it could? Can it be clutched up in second? Is shifting gears to second while up a possibility or a stupid idea?

My best attempts at powering it up in first get me about a foot off the ground for about 5 yards. My best attempts at clutching it up in second is (I've tried at all different speeds) revving to the 13,500 redline, completely snapping the clutch out and ripping the throttle back open. All while sitting far, far back and upright. I'm guessing the bike is just incapable of coming up in second, or is it me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 11:11 PM

I've done it in second, but it sucks. Takes a good hard bounce and one hell of a clutch up. Do not even waste your time with power ups. You learned the right way the first time. Don't regress. Yes the bike blows for stunting. Really bad. A half block is not a long wheelie. Are you sure you hit BP? its a good starter bike yes, cheap is good too. But if you want to seriously get into stunting. Too heavy all around not good bike for stunting. most people can't even wheelie them, so you're doin better already.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to RyPkr_99
I know a half block isn't long at all. It's just my best so far. Maybe I haven't hit BP. I chase a lot of them to redline because I'm too low but some I get where I keep playing with the throttle open and close to keep me up slower and steadier.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 05:32 AM

Sounds like you are doing good. Just keep at what your doing for a while. Once you are riding out BPs you can always shift, but thats a ways away.
Dont worry about anything other then you are doing until you can bring those 1st gear clutch ups to BP and then for ride em however long you feel like keeping the wheel skyward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode