Pulling on the bars theory... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Pulling on the bars theory...

So I've been searchin around out of boredom and reading old posts and such and I've noticed a hell of a lot of suggestions for wheelies that say "tug/pull on the bars". Um... anyone ever thought this one out? Honestly? Think about it. You're standing on THE BIKE... yup, you're on the pegs. You stand up, maybe give ONE bounce (the whole half dozen bounces thing confuses me as well) and power up/clutch up your wheelie and tug on the bars? Now tell me what in the world thats gonna do? You're not pulling the bike off the ground, you're attached to it! there is nothing that gets any force added to it that could possibly help raise the bike. You're simply yanking on the clipons, and they don't go anywhere. Don't believe it does no good? Go out to your bike. Stand on the pegs, and just tug the bars. Then look at yourself and go "oh... shit. It doesn't do anything". Tugging on the bars only effects your body position. Its a bad habit and bad advice. Bouncing can be very helpful. Sometimes necessary. As far as multiple bounces, I don't get it. But if it works for you then fine. Just be careful with your body position. I don't want to hear about anyone getting hurt because they were misinformed or were doing something unnecessary

The reason I made this thread is because my brother brought a friend over last night who just got a new bike. Went for a ride with him and he was trying to wheelie by jumpin on the bike and powering it up with a tuggin on the bars. Almost got himself and one of the guys riding with us hurt really bad. He got his wheelie info off a board like this one. I'd hate to see one of our members doing somethin like this. So consider this constructive critisism. Thats my

~ the super
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:45 AM

I hear you man...

I believe that yanking on the clip-ons only helps you because you end up (inadvertently) shifting your weight back. This helps to get the front end off the ground initially.

I think the moral is:
1. When you yank on the clip-ons you are jerking the forks one way or the other. Try comming down with your front wheel turned. Bad idea!
2. You may think you are helping, but it is just your weight shift that is helping.

The bike will come up. People need to figure out how to get it up using the power that the bike has and the clutch as a motivator.

Listen to me...I cannot even ride one out and I am acting like I know what I am talking about.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:56 AM

Try this, get a bicycle, stand on the back pegs, and jerk on the bars, the front end will come off the ground, it is how you do manuals on a bicycle.
So in theory you are helping the bike come up.
Now i'm not saying that is the best way to bring up a wheelie, i know i do not clutch my wheelies up, so i do give a small bounce when i pull it up in third, and as i bounce i am giving the bars a pull.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:01 AM

Did you just say that you bring it up in third with no clutch?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:01 AM

On your '98 GSX-R 750?

I have that same bike. You need to teach me how to do that.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:02 AM

LOL, with not much effort, stock gearing, i have brought it up in 4th, no clutch, but its alot of work.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:03 AM

You have a 98 750, me to, third with no clutch can be done on it also, but it takes abit of effort
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:22 AM

Quote:
LOL, with not much effort, stock gearing, i have brought it up in 4th, no clutch, but its alot of work
How can it be done with not much effort, but still be alot of work???

Anyway, tell me how to do one in third without a clutch.

I can only do one in second at the perfect time. In other words, the road has to be slightly inclined and I must really lean back.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:36 AM

What i meant was, 3rd is almost effortless, 4th is alot of work, that is on my 1000.

On my 750, third is quite a bit of work, you gotta be in the power range, and preload, and pull, but it will come up, i prob got some video of third gear hwy wheelies on that bike. Secon on that bike should be pretty effortless.

But it's all in practice, i cannot tell you how many people have said that their new 600 would not pull up in second, then i get on their bike and pull it up in second, and third
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:41 AM

pulling on the bars is gay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode