SV 650 for stunting??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

SV 650 for stunting???

How would an SV 650 do for stunting???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:09 AM

YES. I got a friend that rides 12'oclocks on his all day long... Another stunts an SV1000...

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:15 AM

you will need to modify your oil pick up if you want to ride 12's for a long time...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

I cannot even do a 12 O'Clock, but why must you modify your oil pick up? Would that same modification be necessary on a GSXR?

Or is that one of the many reasons that an SV 650 may not stand up to the harsh treatment it will recieve when stunting?

I dont actually know. I am just throwing that out there.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 10:06 AM

Its a problem that plagues all bikes, but suzukis seem to be the most prone to it.
Anybike that doesnt have a dry sump (buels) holds the engine oil in the pan at the bottom of the engine. There is a pickup for the oil pump, which then pumps the oil on the bottom of the pistons, into the crank shaft, and everywhere else it needs to go. When you pop up the front wheel, you are in effect tilting the engine. The oil in the pan, all goes to the back of the pan. Now, if the oil pick up for the pump is in the front of the pan (and suzuki places them far forward) then the oil pump cant suck up any fuel, and so there is no fuel going to the rest of the engine.
Before you get all scared that wheelies are so bad for you engine...
If its a quick wheelie, then 2 things save you. 1. There is still oil in all the lines, so there is still oil being pushed into all the parts that need it. It takes some time for all those lines to drain.
Oil is really viscous, so it remains on all the necessary parts, and doesnt drain off immidiatly. So the parts are still lubricated, just that the oil isnt being replanished.
So its only a problem if you ride mile plus long wheelies. Or that slow speed stuff. Really its a matter of how long the bike is on one wheel not how far.
The relocator maindr is talking about, is just a piece of 0.25" copper tubing (with some connectors) that makes the oil pump suck oil from the back of pan instead of the front. That way you engine always has a supply of oil regardless.
Another method of remedying the problem is to add extra oil. the oil level in the pan is higher, thus its less likely to "expose" the oil pickup. This is not without risks, as the oil pressure rises with more oil, and you risk busting a few gaskets. There are specific rubber plugs, that are made to bust when the oil pressure rises to high. They are there to protect the engine seals from going. They are cheaper, and much easier to replace.

Hope that helps

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 10:27 AM

i know a guy, who is on his third crankshaft in 2 yrs, no 12 o-clocks, but lots of long wheelies.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 09:35 AM

I have a video!! PM me if you want it. Dude is DUSGUSTING on an sv650. Straight killin it. 12's, apehangers, spreaders. loooooong wheelies. Just added an extra half quart of oil. No problems. Light comes on when it sits on the bar for a whlie, but thats it. Give me a holler if anyone wants to see it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 12:31 PM

Holla
I'd like to see the vid
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 12:59 AM

Buddy of mine had a TL and it would dump oil all day long while riding wheelies...the problem was he could ride them a long time on that bike...he would just run it a little low...never had a problem after that!

C-Ya...Skiv

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 02:04 PM

Anyone got Instructions to make the extended oil pickup, if theres anything I should know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode