Shifting into 2nd, to clutch or not to clutch - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Shifting into 2nd, to clutch or not to clutch

I've read emphatic opinions on both sides: you're crazy to clutch into 2nd on one wheel / you're crazy not to use the clutch into 2nd...

what do you guys think (and why)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 11:39 AM

On one wheel? no clutch. I dont even see why you would do it any other way....

Having said that, why shift? Balance it in first and call it good....

EDIT: I mean shift with no clutch. Not bring it up with no clutch.

Last edited by Vash; 09-16-2005 at 08:20 AM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Having said that, why shift? Balance it in first and call it good....
true. it's all about the BP. i'm just so afraid of mousetrapping it. and it revs up so fast in first. i figure if i go to 2nd i'll have more time to try n find the BP and the benefit of less-sensitive throttle input. and plus rolling 'em down the highway = serious cool points.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

...which brings me to another question: what's the slowest speed @ which i could pull it up in 2nd and what kind of rpm's are we talkings? i'm on a 954.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:19 PM

If I'm not mistaken, a 954 should do highway speeds at first. And good throttle control is the key to all of this. There are several advantages to doing it in first gear.
Should you loop it, you will be going slower, and it wont hurt as bad.
Should you get in trouble, you will have more engine braking in first, so a closed throttle will be more likely to bring you back if you forget all about the rear brake.

As for what the minimum speed, I'm willing to bet people can bring it up to 12 oclock from a stand still in second. If you are clutching it, speed really doesnt matter. I'm not too sure about the rpm either, I never bother to look at mine (and we dont even have the same bike) just try to hit at the bottom of the power band. You know when the power first starts getting there, for me its about 5-7k rpm. But once again, I dont really pay attention to that, just rev it a few times, and the rest is clutch work.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 08:08 PM

I Clutch and don't clutch. It depends what I am trying to do. Its all about personal preference though.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 08:17 AM

Let me guess...

You've been dying to rip up some highway wheelies so you can bomb around and get that feeling of "goddamnit I/this kicks ass!". So you've asked some people, and visited some sites. I'm going to say that about 75% of the people have said "clutch? wtf would you do that for? Just let of the gas and jump up and down on the bike like a moron then twist it really hard with no control and horrible body position while yanking on the bars for no damn reason cause it won't do shit for you but twist them and make the bike come up at a weird angle". Well, thats actually probably not what they said. But thats what powering up wheelies translates to. To answer the question before you ask it, NO it does NOT hurt your tranny to clutch up a wheelie. When done CORRECTLY the only possible damage that you can do is take a few miles off your clutch. Most people who do wheelies on the highay won't have thier bike long enough to wear out a clutch anyway so it doesn't matter. as far as shifting in a wheelie... thats retarded. There is never any time that you should need to go faster than 2nd gear. On a 954 thats almost 100 mph. Just bring it up in second. Why use first. Especially if you're doin it on the highway. Mousetrapping is not from hitting balance point. You could be goin 2 mph still under bp and mousetrap it. I've done it multiple times (goddamn kill switch) the biggest problem you'll run into is brake control. If you want to do highway wheelies (which I can't openly condone but won't lie and say I don't do), you MUST learn how to ride wheelies first. There's nothing wrong with using first gear. Yes, it's a little more twitchy. that simply means you have to be smoother. Learn in an empty lot where you're not gonna hurt anyone, gear up, keep it in first gear, use your brake and master wheelies there. Once you've done that, and you know you're 100% comfortable with being on 1 wheel. The decision to do them on the highway is yours. Just remember... It's not legal. If you get caught, you have nobody to blame but yourself. If you wreck and hurt someone, its all on you. Best of luck and be safe. Let me know if you have any other questions. The clutch is your friend. Master it and theres nothing you won't be able to do. This isn't comming from some retarded yahoo on line. Pro stunter homey, pro stunter.

~the super
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:51 AM

contrary to what roadstain says, you can bring it up with no clutch, or with a clutch, it all depends on what your comfortable with.

Here is why i do not clutch it up, on more than 1 occasion, i have spun the rear tire while clutching it up, powering it up is more predictable, and smoother.

The downside, you gain more speed when powering it up, but once your good enough, you can sketch off speed, and bring it to what ever speed you want it at.

I ride my long standups, in third, at about 60mph, i bring them up in 2nd, at about 40-60mph, and i have never, i repeat never in about 4yrs of riding wheelies, crashed from doing a wheelie.

Oh and i use the clutch when i shift in a wheelie.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 10:54 AM

Like I said, I use a little of both methods. If Im going pretty fast in second I have no problem leaning back giving it a little bounce and pulling it up. However, I don't see a need to shift while on a wheelie. If I pull it up in second I can ride it pretty much as long as I want. If you have to shift while on a wheelie that just means you are not near the balance point and you have to speed up to chase the wheelie. I do enjoy using the clutching method though. Roadstain is correct. When you learn how to clutch up the front wheel correctly it is the best way to do it. Clutching is more controlled and when you get good you can clutch right to balancing point. This is just my
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 11:51 AM

i agree with most of what steve said, except the fact that clutch is better than no clutch, that comes down to the rider, also the only reason i shift in a wheelie, is for the added control of a higher gear, far less twitchy in 3rd, wich translates into smoother control.

I know several guys who shift all the way to 5th almost imediatly after bringing it up. and they never break 60mph in a wheelie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode