I need roadstain's opinion - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I need roadstain's opinion

Hey Roadstain... I have been pondering the idea of getting a dedicated stunt bike for next season. I would like to get into the slower stuff and make my bike a primary stunter, but I like riding through the twisties and going 160mph too much. So I came to the conclusion that I will most likely get a bike to stunt next season. I wanted to know what your opinion would be though. I can either buy a new bike next season and make my current bike a stunter or sell my bike and buy a beat up bike and a new bike or just keep my current bike and buy a beat up bike for a stunter. Everyone says I would be crazy to make my current bike a stuntbike because it is pretty much flawless. I attached a picture of my current ride. Let me know your opinion on what I should do. Of course I would do stunting sprockets and chain, crash cage, 12 bar, etc. Everyones opinion is welcome, I just value roadstains opinion when it comes to stunting. thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31609bike2-med.jpg (34.6 KB, 116 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31609bike1-med.jpg (37.5 KB, 115 views)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

and yet another
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31609bike3-med.jpg (32.9 KB, 115 views)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 02:04 PM

Sounds like your options are very open. Personally, I think your bike looks pimp. You're comfortable with it. So you might as well keep it. If you can afford to buy a new bike next season, just buy a stunter. Find someone with an auction license (maybe even get one yourself) or look around on some sites. You can easily pick up a salvaged F4i or 636 (my 2 top picks for stunt bikes) for about 3500 bucks. Maybe less. You'd be amazed at how little damage most of them have too! Some zip ties and you're good to go! If you wanted to you could take all the plastics off and the headlight and whatever else and sell it for extra cash. My perfect setup, which you're more than welcomed to use..

Salvaged 636 = 2800
Acerbis headlight = 140
-1 + 12 Sprokets = 120 (with chain)
F.I. or 905 cage = 195

You can sell all the plastics but your tail or you can keep them. I like the streetfighter look. Less stuff to break. If you find one thats not completely trashed you can easilly make 3-400 dollars off sellin your headlight and plastics. which almost covers your stunt setup. After that you're good to go.

You can also go the other way. Take your gixxer, and set it up. Leave it with plastics or streetfightered. The choice is yours. Then pick up a pimp ass bike new or used and you're still in business. I'm kinda broke so I am leaning towards the salvaged stunt bike setup myself. The choice is yours though.

As far as making the salvage bike legit. Here in PA all you have to do is take 4 pictures of the bike. One from each side. And send them in with a money order. (forget how much but it's not bad) and they send you a rebuilt title. Perfectly legit and streetable. You take it and get it inspected and throw liability on it for like 100 bucks a year and you can ride it to and from the spot instead of risking gettin caught with a non legit bike or having to truck it. Not sure if your state is the same but I can't imagine it being much worse. You might have to have a trooper inspect it and make sure that you didn't use stolen parts to fix it. So keep your reciepts for everything You'll probably have to send those in. If life was perfect I'd have exactly what you have and my above mentioned stunt setup. Instead, I have an engine and swingarm that I'm trying to sell and some other random bullshit. Tryin to save money to move so I have a feeling a bike isn't gonna happen for a bit yet. Let me know what you decide to go with and if you need any help. I'm more than happy to do whatever I can. Good luck and enjoy stunting!!

~ the super
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

I have had my eye on a new R1. I think I will maybe just buy another bike to stunt. I have soo much time and effort put into mine that I am going to just keep it. I am looking into buying a new car or truck so I will most likely put another bike on hold for now. I want to buy a trailer so I can trailer my cousins bike along with mine to the track. The nearest track to me is Louden. I live on long island so riding to the track and then racing all day is out of the question. Everyday I am just itching for a dedicated stunter. $$$ is the problem. Unfortunately I have limited cash and will never be able to afford "all" the things I want. I guess I have to take it one toy at a time. I am a hotrod car guy. I sold my car to get my bike, and bought a pickup. I am also itching to build another fast car, but the bikes are just more practical for the street. You get into a ton of shit if you get caught streetracing with a car. The bike is a safer bet.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:40 PM

you can still "stunt" your gixxer. You just have to be a bit more careful with it. Not go quite all out with it. If you can live with the bike not being mint, it makes it that much easier. I like the new r1's but they carry one hell of a price tag. Its good to have your priorities straight though man. stunting can actually be really expensive when you're learning. Lots of shit breaks. Not as expensive as track racing, but it's up there. good luck with your choices and investments. Screw those things with 4 wheels. I sunk thousands into them only to find out how much better bikes are. Stay in the light my friend. Life is better one two wheels... and the best on 1!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

You are right about stunting my current bike, but it's just not the same as an all out stunter. I really wanted to get some track days in this season, but that fell through. Maybe I will just keep my bike, buy a trailer and go track racing. I am afraid that I am going to rip out my motor this winter and rebuild my bike again. I just can't help it. Something motivates me to buy expensive shit even if I don't need it.My current bike wheelies great, but I am still having trouble with the slower stuff. If I had some sprockets I think it would be much easier for me. Right now I am -1 on the front sprocket. That should be plenty for an all around street, track, stunt bike. I NEED MORE PRACTICE!!! If it is nice this weekend I may gear up and practice. If I fall I will just fix whatevers broken (even if it's an arm or leg). Maybe I can get one of my friends to take pictures and I will post em. Thanks
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:52 PM

In NY I am pretty sure a trooper or someone has to inspect something with a salvaged title for stolen parts so ALL your paper work for everything has to be in order. Personally I would stay away from salvages in NY but that is your option.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

I am going to have to find out what the story is around hear with the salvage title. I can probobally get the info off the dmv website right. My father is a retired nyc cop, so whenever I buy a bike or car he calls up his friend in auto theft to run the numbers for me. This would help to assure that the motor and or frame are not stolen.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wheelie_steve
You are right about stunting my current bike, but it's just not the same as an all out stunter. I really wanted to get some track days in this season, but that fell through. Maybe I will just keep my bike, buy a trailer and go track racing. I am afraid that I am going to rip out my motor this winter and rebuild my bike again. I just can't help it. Something motivates me to buy expensive shit even if I don't need it.My current bike wheelies great, but I am still having trouble with the slower stuff. If I had some sprockets I think it would be much easier for me. Right now I am -1 on the front sprocket. That should be plenty for an all around street, track, stunt bike. I NEED MORE PRACTICE!!! If it is nice this weekend I may gear up and practice. If I fall I will just fix whatevers broken (even if it's an arm or leg). Maybe I can get one of my friends to take pictures and I will post em. Thanks
Sprockets will help a bit. Slow stuff is all in brake control. Definately get some pics! Good luck. Don't hurt anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode