Sliping The Clutch?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Sliping The Clutch??

Guys...Im fixing to have my bike...and i can ride wheelies on quads likea mad man..literally miles and miles...i know that balance point..now when i get teh feel of my zx6r...i wanna ride wheelise and stuff...now if i slip the clutch that puts alot of wear on it right??? Whats the Safest....and Easiest way to ride a wheelie..keep in mind i don twanna damage my clutch or anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 03:21 PM

Re: Sliping The Clutch??

Quote:
Originally posted by Olson
Guys...Im fixing to have my bike...and i can ride wheelies on quads likea mad man..literally miles and miles...i know that balance point..now when i get teh feel of my zx6r...i wanna ride wheelise and stuff...now if i slip the clutch that puts alot of wear on it right??? Whats the Safest....and Easiest way to ride a wheelie..keep in mind i don twanna damage my clutch or anything

"don't want to damage XXX" and "want to wheelie/stunt" should never be in the same sentence. As it is impossible to do stunts without damaging your bike. First of all. A quad is nothing anywhere near a 636. So my suggestion (which you more than likely will not listen to) is to NOT do them on your bike. It takes a lot of time to get used to riding in general. Reactions to things while on two wheels and the sort. Before even thinkin about going to one. I say, ride the bike for a while. When you think you have it mastered, ride it some more. Then, maybe, do a search on here for "how to wheelie". I've already posted a bunch of stuff that should get you started. And no, with the right technique, it won't hurt your clutch.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

yea man but i been riding yz450s yz250s and i can wheelie them alright...im really really good at a maneul cluthc..can you explain the method you use....and leaning...is it just like leaning when your haulin ass on a sharp corner on a dirtbike??

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 05:40 PM

Quote:
yea man but i been riding yz450s yz250s and i can wheelie them alright...im really really good at a maneul cluthc..can you explain the method you use....and leaning...is it just like leaning when your haulin ass on a sharp corner on a dirtbike??

ahhh I was unaware that you had experience on dirtbikes as well. Thats where I got my "stunt" roots. It's all the same principal. Just a bigger machine. only thing is, with a street bike, you don't want to be sticking your legs out! Basically the same way you slip the clutch to get your dirtbike or 4 wheeler to come up, is the same way you do it on a 636. You'll just have to find that precise technique that works for you. I use two fingers. Reach up, slip it, add some rpms, and let it back out. It sounds simple but there is a science to it. I can try to explain it all day but it really won't make sense until you've tried it. You've already got the upper hand since you're experienced. You know that weightless/ "someone just pulled the carpet out from under me" feeling that is balance point, so I'm guessing you already know what to do as far as brake control. All I can do is tell you to gear up, find a legit spot, and have fun. But most of all be safe. Best of luck to you and enjoy the nice bike!

P.S. I would invest in a crash cage if you know for sure you're going to be stunting a lot. Just my
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

A Crash Cage??? what the hell is that...And what does that protect. And Are you Sure that it wont hurt the clutch?? i want the clutch to be smooth as teh day i baught it
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 07:35 AM

Quote:
A Crash Cage??? what the hell is that...And what does that protect. And Are you Sure that it wont hurt the clutch?? i want the clutch to be smooth as teh day i baught it
A crash cage is... well, exactly what it says. A cage that helps when you crash. Basically its the ultimate frame sliders. It protects your case covers and your plastics. A must have for anyone who plans on doing any kind of stunting. Can be found online for a couple more bucks than a good set of sliders and worth every penny.

As far as the clutch, it'll be fine as long as you don't beat the hell out of it. With proper technique it'll last you as long as most of the majoy components on the bike.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RoadStainR6
[B]A crash cage is... well, exactly what it says. A cage that helps when you crash. Basically its the ultimate frame sliders. It protects your case covers and your plastics. A must have for anyone who plans on doing any kind of stunting. Can be found online for a couple more bucks than a good set of sliders and worth every penny.

Ok but uhh....Is It gunna make my bike look...how do i sy this.. like shitty? or not very good? and also is leaning on this like learning on a dirtbike..say like if im goin about 60 and i make a corner...on a dirtbike..its basically the same as on a street bike right?? or is it a whole new concept
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 11:19 AM

In my riding experience, which is not very much, once you are moving leaning a cycle is like leaning a mountain bike. I imagine it is pretty similar to a dirt bike, but ive never riden one.

As for crash cages, arnt they just a bar that run down each side of the bike? They dont make the bike look shitty but frame sliders are more attractive.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 04:02 PM

No Olson, leaning on a Dirt Bike and a Street Bike are two toally different things. Just one of the differences would be counter steering. Try that on a YZ 250 and you'll find yourself on your ass quicker then you would if you grabbed a handful of front brake. So, take your time, LEARN HOW TO RIDE STREET before you go all goo goo on your new baby.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 06:58 PM

Dude if you're askin me how to lean... then you really need to not think about wheelies. Hopefully you'll pick up riding quicly, but keep the whooooolies out of your head for the time being. Learn to ride first man. Riding a street bike is like... riding a street bike. Its not like anything else. Thats why its so much fun. Your experience with dirt riding will help with the basics, but you will have to get the hang of everything else. Take your time, gear up and have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode