Clutching it up in 2nd----No go - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Clutching it up in 2nd----No go

Ok, I got an '05 636 and Ive been trying to get it up in 2nd gear but its a no go. You guys told me to try clutching it up but thats horse crap. I clutched it up to 13k rpms and dropped the clutch in 2nd gear but the bike just lunges forward. One guy even said clutching it up is safer than power. WTF?? No way. Clutching is far too unpredictable. Im just going to get the +10 rear sprocket so I can power it up in 2nd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:02 AM

Re: Clutching it up in 2nd----No go

Quote:
Originally posted by vettewreck
Ok, I got an '05 636 and Ive been trying to get it up in 2nd gear but its a no go. You guys told me to try clutching it up but thats horse crap. I clutched it up to 13k rpms and dropped the clutch in 2nd gear but the bike just lunges forward. One guy even said clutching it up is safer than power. WTF?? No way. Clutching is far too unpredictable. Im just going to get the +10 rear sprocket so I can power it up in 2nd.
Be careful. I personally do not use the clutch. But I also can not wheelie it in second gear either. I have a 600. I think you have to get the bike up to 55-60 mph in second, let go of the gas, then hit the gas sitting as far back on the bike as possible. I have seen it done. I just have not been succesful at it myself.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:35 AM

Dude, I gaurantee i can bring that bike up in third, no clutch, second gear with or without clutch, NO PROB.

You may not want to here this, but gearing is not your prob, the prob is not the bike at all, it's you! You do not know what you are doing, you are fighting the bike, your timing is off, etc.

You just need to be patient and LEARN how to get it up.

If you go 10 up in the rear, (judging from the fact that you cannot get it to clutch up in second, so you obviously are new to wheelies/stunting) you are gonna hurt yourself.

I am not trying to be rude, just blunt. Take some more time in the saddle, and progress at your own rate.

I have video of a good friend, on a ragged 01' GSXR 600, stock gearing, bringing it up in second and third, with and without his girl friend, if you still have doubts, i can send you the video.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

no man, it very well could/probably is me. It just seems to me that even when I try to power wheelie in 2nd at 13k rpms it still wont come up. Even clutching it at 13k, still the same thing. I can do it in 1st no problem so either Im doing something wrong or I dont know what. I want the +10 so I can power wheelie 2nd at a lower speed than what Im at at 13-15k rpms. Thats all.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 12:31 PM

Not sure why you want to mess with second, why not stick with first?

Either way, work on your body positioning. You want the CG to be as high and as far back as you can get it. So sit up, slide your butt back, back streight. Dont lean forward with the throttle.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 02:26 PM

Going 10 up on the rear sprocket, is the same as doing wheelies in fisrt, actually its lower than first, you are defeating the purpose.

I have ridden many bikes with big sprockets, rode one with 72 tooth rear, they become so twitchy that they are dangerous, if you do no know what your doin.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 03:24 PM

*sigh* Again with this powering it up bullshit. Tell you what. Here's what you should do. This is only my opnion though. So take it for what it is, and do as you please.

1. Sell your bike. Yup, thats right. I said sell it. It's a 2005. It's most likely in excellent condition. Better to sell it now than after you trash it from wrecking. Not being a dick. But it's gonna happen. its just he way it works.

2. Buy 2 bikes. With the money you get from your 05 you can easily purchase 2 bikes. Buy one thats nice as a street bike. Somethin you like. a used bike in good condition thats already hooked up and taken care of. You can easily do this for 5 to 6 grand. with the remaining 2500 bucks. Buy a beater bike. A salvage or older bike will be just fine.

3. Take your beater bike and, well, beat it. Kick it's ass. Learn your wheelies on this bike. My suggestion is an old F2. You can pick one up for about 1200 bucks in really good condition. Put a cage on it. Find a parking lot. And rock it out. You're obviously nowhere near neading fuel injection. You don't need sprockets or any of that happy horseshit.

4. Start with first gear. and for christ's sake stop powering it. If you can't clutch it, it's not because clutching is bad. it's cause you're doing something wrong. I can clutch up a bone stock R6 at a stand still in 2nd gear. thats 0 miles an hour. You don't have to be going 60 mph. and while learning you definately shouldn't be. You don't need gearing. Thats for idle tricks and tank wheelies.

5. Take pictures and film yourself. If you insist on keeping the 636 get your attempts on film of some sort and post it on here. I'll tell you what you're doing wrong. Right now. I'll put money on bad body position, anticipating the wheelie, and incorrect technique with the clutch. If it's lunging foreward you're not doing it right.

6. TAKE YOUR TIME. You didn't learn to walk in a month. And you sure as hell weren't running in one. You're getting frustrated. You can't do that. You're trying too hard. Just let it flow. Start slow and easy. 1st gear clutching it up. Sitdowns. Search for balance point. I don't care what anyone says, its better. Not because I say so, because the people who do this shit for a LIVING say so. Its more controled, more predictable, and much much smoother.. when done properly.

7. Be smooth. Don't be a throttle junkie. 1st gear is twitchy with stock gearing. Learn to make small gentle throttle inputs. Learn how to ride the bike before modifying it. Take your time and be safe. Master it one gear at a time. 1st gear sitdowns till you're comfortable. 2nd gear sitdowns till you're comfortable. Then do standups. 1st gear, then second gear. Then go from there. It takes time. So be patient.

8. Last but most definately not least. Be safe. Gear up. Find a legit spot. Whether its a back ass country road (not completely suggested but sometimes the easiest and best) or a nice open lot with permission. Learning wheelies is a blast. But its easier to do when you have a license and a bike and no crazy fines for rippin up the streets. Ask questions from people with experience. Everyone has their own style but the core fundamentals are the same. Rigid body position, fluid throttle control. and MASTER the rear brake. It's the only thing that will save you. Cover that as if you were guarding the president. and tackle it at the first hint of trouble. Its a good habit to form.

My intent isn't to sound like a know it all. As I am still learning myself. But my experience level (as far as I can tell) vastly exceeds yours. Not patting myself on the back. Just lookin out for a learning aspiring super squid like myself. I was running a 2002 gixxer 750. It was a great stunt bike. I say was cause it no longer exists. You may think that an old beater bike is a bad idea. But yours truly will probably be pickin up an F3. A serious downgrade for me. But I'm broke and need to get back in the saddle. Plus, they really aren't bad bikes at all. I know guys who kill it professionally on old ass bikes. 900rr's, f2's, f3's. The point I'm trying to make is. Take baby steps. And be gentle on your wallet. cheap bikes = cheap parts. stunting = wrecking. wrecking = broken parts. Get where I'm goin with this? This most likely is NOT what you wanted to hear. But, it's my suggestion. Take it or leave it. Ditch the powering bullshit. Its a waste of time. You'll never be able to stunt on a diecent level powering. it's just not possible. Anything is doable on a stock bike. Check out nextlevelvideos.com. it's a "how to" stunt series. Made by the best guy in the game. Incredibly informative and very very helpful. He does EVERYTHING on a stock 01 r6. Its all practice and seat time. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. If you're lookin for a better explanation of the whole clutching it up method, do a search. I've done a few write ups on here. If you still haven't found what you're lookin for feel free to post up. I'm more than happy to help as much as I can. Keep it on 1 wheel bro.

~ the super
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

RoadstainR6---

Thank you very much for that insight. I will find a parking lot, gear up, and try the clutch. Its just that (from my expirience) that the clutch is unpredictable. Ive never duplicated the same results. Thats 99% probably rider error....ME. I guess I just need to get the hang of it. Again thank you but I will not be selling my bike!! LOL. Im not the type of guy who buys a lambo to have it sit in the garage, get my drift? I bought it to play so if I wreck it, so be it, I wreck it. Thanks again for your time.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 05:44 AM

maybe you should sell the bike and invest in something like a nice pair of roller skates....
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by mainerdr
maybe you should sell the bike and invest in something like a nice pair of roller skates....
hey thanks for the advice, asshat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode