Bringing it up. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Ice

Bringing it up.

How's everyone doing? I used to be a member, but I forget all my info so I created a new account. Anyways, I need some help bringing up the front end higher than a foot or two. I've been riding for about a full season and a half. I've probally got about 15000 road miles. I got a brand new 636 four months ago.

I can bring the front up pretty easy, but it's so fuking scary. The only way I can get it up is clutching it in first at around 8000 rpm. I can power it , but I don't like to. I think all I gotta do is give it more throttle, but damn, that's some serious shit. Do you guys grab a lot of throttle? I always seem to chop the throttle as well. Sometimes over crests I power it up pretty high, but never ride them out. Does it sound right to clutch it in first at that high an rpm? I need some fuking help. How quick does the front come up? Under a second?

Thanks for any help. I need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 09:24 AM

Ive got an '05 636 as well. I would never use the clutch to bring up the front wheel. Its just too unpredictable. riding at about 7k rpms I back off the gas then goose it again. Front end comes up no problem at all. However this is in 1st gear and for me (and sounds like you) 1st gear is just too touchy to ride out a wheelie. But I cant get it up in 2nd by power wheeling yet. I tried the hole clutch in 2nd but it just lunges forward. Clutching is just unsafe b/c its so unpredictable.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 09:36 AM

What a load of crap.
Clutching is the right way to do it. And you are on the right track. The idea is to get it pretty high with just the clutch, and adjust from there with the throttle. Now its really tempting to shut off the throttle as soon as it comes up, couse it scares you.
So here is what you should do. Start practicing at low speed, bring it up with the clutch just high enough not to make you nervous. a foot or two, something that you know isnt going to flip you over. At low speed (25mph) you shouldnt need much throttle to do it. Bring it up, and try to ride it out. Dont close the throttle, your going slow, and bringing it up low, so you're not going to flip. Once you can ride a low wheelie for a little ways (no need to chase it to 100mph, once you hit 50-60 go ahead and drop it) try controlling the height with the throttle. Give it abit more gas and bring it up some more, or maybe get off the gas, and get back on it to sort of move it up and down in the air. The idea is to get comfortable with it, couse thats whats slowing you down, just being afraid of it.
Once you get to the point that you dont close the throttle after you clutch, start working on height. Add abit at a time, not pushing your comfort level too far. As you lift it higher, you will ride the wheelie longer before you get to the 60mph "Go ahead and drop it" mark.
Powering a wheelie is good to get started but you wont get those nice 12 oclocks with power. No one does, there are too many variables. With the clutch method you can set the height of your original "Jump" by how fast you feather the clutch, and the rest is easy buisness

wear your gear. Cover the rear brake.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 04:57 PM

^^^ +1. There are write ups on here that I've done. Check them out. Also check out the thread about clutchin up. I just made a lengthy post to someone in your same shoes. Perhaps some info in that will aid you. Vash has it goin on with his post. So I won't repeat.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Ice

Thanks, fellas. Hey, Vash. How would I go about bringing my bike up at 25 mph? Would I bring in the clutch (1/3 of the way or more) and let it out slowly while applying quite of bit of throttle? I can slip the clutch. How bad is it for your bike? The way I've been bringing it up is, bringing the clutch in slightly and letting it out quickly while applying more throttle quickly. No bouncing the forks or anything. How does that sound?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 04:34 AM

Sounds like your technique is better than mine. I bring the clutch in almost all the way, give the engine a quick rev (the sort you do to get someones attention) and then release the clutch (a very quick feather, just short of dumping it) as I give it gas. But I know that I shouldnt bring the clutch in as much as I do.
Clutching it at 20mph isnt much different than clutching it at 50. expect the bike to come up abit easier at low speed.

The rest is just seat time. Dont forget your gear. And that rear brake.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ice
Thanks, fellas. Hey, Vash. How would I go about bringing my bike up at 25 mph? Would I bring in the clutch (1/3 of the way or more) and let it out slowly while applying quite of bit of throttle? I can slip the clutch. How bad is it for your bike? The way I've been bringing it up is, bringing the clutch in slightly and letting it out quickly while applying more throttle quickly. No bouncing the forks or anything. How does that sound?
Aaahhhh Now that what I like to hear. Yes, slippin it is the way to do it. Don't completely disengage the clutch or the bike tends to lurch into the air. (Most people who completely disengage the clutch also dump it back out).

As far as pickin the bike up. 20-25 mph, lock your elbows out. sit up straight with your ass against the back seat, Slip the clutch and add about 1500 revs (by ear, not by sight) and then let it back out. it should climb into the air nice and smooth. Stay on the throttle and add/remove rpms as needed to keep the front up. When puttin it down be sure to accelerate as it comes down. Not enough to kee the wheel in the air, just enough to keep you from slamming into the ground and mousetrapping yourself over the bars. Good luck Gear up, and have fun!

~
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 10:42 AM

I read something earlier in this thread that was asking how far to pull in the clutch. Depending on the bike it will be different I gotta pull mine 1/2 to slip it... My girfriends r6 only needs to be pulled in like 10% to slip it. I just practiced hodling a constant rpm.... pulling in the clutch till i saw/heard the rpm's increase and the speed stay the same. I then got used to the lever position. As for throttle I am sure there are 100 ways to do it but I found this way the best for me.... as the pull the lever to the desired spot (slippage) I crack the throttle about 3/4... as the engine is climbing I stress as it's rising I release the lever quickly but do not just let go of it.... so to put it short... RPM's are rising for like 1/2 sec or slightly less as I am releasing the cluch lever quickly. That works for me and my bike..... try different variations and you will find one that works for you too.... I do mine in 2nd. No need to do em in first w/ my bike set up I can crack the throttle at 5K and bring the front up to bp that way. As for third, I don't need to be going that fast when pulling them up ..... 2nd will get me near 90mph that's good enough for me.

My could be garbage but I can hang a nice wheelie and that's how I learned it....

There are some other techniques that are good too.... most professional stunters do not use the throttle to adjust the height of their wheelies they instead use the brake. They will put slight pressure on the rear break and clutch it up hold the throttle at a consistant point and when it gets too hight use more back break if it starts getting low let off on the back break. It is hard to adjust to if you origionally learned by using throttle to controle them and are not real used to the back brake in a wheelie, but if I were just starting out again I think I would try that technique. At least you will be concious of covering the back break that way.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Ice

Thanks everybody. Now, I'm gonna go out and practice some more. Yo, RoadStain, I read in anoter thread you said you could pick up a stock r6 in second from a standstill. That's just pimp. So you could easily lift the front of mine frorm about 15 mph in first? Right. I gotta learn to do this shit.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 06:05 AM

once you get it up in 2nd at that speed it will be hard to initially keep it at BP since the your going so slow in 2nd the rpm's will be really low and your throttle responce will be kinda sluggish. If however you can clutch it up to BP it should be easy to keep it there and just maintain a constant speed or drop it slightly below bp and accelerate.

Good Luck... cover the brake expecially since your going so slow in 2nd you will have very slight engine brake to save you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode