Stand up wheelie foot position - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Stand up wheelie foot position

In a staggered wheelie, the foot that on the rider pegs, which part of the foot should be on the peg? I ride with the balls of my feet, but I cant press the brake lever that way without taking my foot off the peg first. Its not a problem sitting down, but standing up my weight is on it.

Another question. How do you steer a sit down wheelie? mine always turn right. Sometimes, they are almost streigh, but I always end up landing them further to the right than I started.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 03:13 PM

Ok, as far as the brake goes. When I do mine, the very front part of my heal is on the peg. Like if you're wearing boots, you put the peg right up against the heal part of the boot. Adjusting your brake lever helps a bit too. If you take it and lower it (like lower to the ground) it makes it a bit more level with your foot in a standup wheelie and is a lot easier to hit. Granted I wear a size 13... that may be the reason. its hard to say.

As far as the steering a wheelie thing goes. Steering is all about weight transfer. When doing a sitdown you pretty much just pull your butt off the seat in the direction you want to go. Standing is pretty much the same thing. Just kind of shimmy your ass in the direction you want to steer the bike. Its not instantanious. So just kind pull the bike a bit and shift your ass around to get it where it needs to go. All of this is a hundred times easier when you're at balance point. It also helps a lot to make sure your body position is correct when you bring it up. The straighter you are when it comes up, the less adjusting you have to do once its there. I know guys who can ride twisties on one wheel. It just takes practice. Keep at it and one day you'll look back and laugh. I'm still waiting for that day, but I'm sure it'll happen. Be safe and have fun.

~ the super
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 09:07 AM

Roadstain has some good points....

I also have a size 13 shoe and I find it easier for me to have the mid of my foot on the peg so the ball of my foot is over the brake but I think it's all preference, just get good balance. It's not a bad idea to ride the brake a little and slam the throttle to it..... this way you can start getting used to controling the wheelie with the pressure of the rear brake and not the throttle.... let up if you want it to come up and press if it gets too high... I started by riding the rear brake a little bit now I don't any more. It's hella easy once you get used to using the brake to keep a steady wheelie.....

as for steering sit downs... it's quite hard to have good control over steering them because most sit downs are done under the balance point. This causes you to have to be accel.. hard to keep it up.... when accel it's hard to steer it.... If your at BP and maintaing the speed steering them is 100x easier. I really gotta quickly shift my wt (200lbs) to the side to even steer it a little when under bp chasing it. At bp if I used the same force it would problem take me over side...

just my

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 07:04 AM

Steering a sit-down wheelie is a lot harder than steering a stand-up wheelie simply because of the body english you can throw into a stand up....

I've tried messing with the back pegs and found that it's too awkward for me to do effectively. I still use the front 2 pegs while I wheelie and have been able to go upwards of a mile before my arms give out on me from holding me up.

Sit-downs I do often but always a first gear clutch up since I don't have too much interest in them... but they come straight to balance point and i can keep em up for awhile, I just don't like abusing first gear that badly :P

My bike is an 04' 600.... 2nd gear I give a double bounce... no clutch... comes up like butttttta
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 07:15 AM
Ice

Spanknasty. What kind of rpm's are you running when you bounce it up?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 07:28 AM

I'm in 2nd gear doing about 55-65. I try to keep it right at the beginning of the power band (8k) but if you're going too fast (65ish+) then it'll come up too slow...

When I bounce it up I usually slow down to about 60, double-bounce it and as soon as i bounce down the second time I give it about 3/4 throttle and it comes up just as fast as my buddies 02' 1000 when he nails it for a wheelie.

I am going to switch up my sprockets however (probably -1/+2) so this will probably drastically change my wheelies...

Right now though the gixxer is such a nice wheelie bike, AND I weigh 185+gear (used to weigh 205+gear and it still came up like butta)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Ice

Sweet. Gonna try that.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 02:53 PM

I never really understood the double bounce thing. Why two bounces? You don't do anything but get your body position all fuct up and you just look like your having a seizure jumpin up and down on your bike like that. Just my though. I don't understand why people power it up. Powering it up at 65 mph and 8k rpms only leaves you at 13 or 14k and doin 85 by the time you hit bp. To each their own I guess.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 05:54 PM

Why is doing something like this so damn addicting?

Why did I read something about tearing up my rear shock doing stoppies and then the next day decide to start trying to clutch up wheelies?

And then once I finally figured out how to get the front wheel in the air a bit, why does it have to rain for 4 days straight?

I mean, I'm pretty sensible, and I know full well I don't have the money to fix my bike if I tear something up, but I still try it! I'm not even good at it, I'm at the stage most likely to break the bike or me!

You know, I really think it's a result of not having anyone to ride with. I've been hoping to find a group of good riders to learn from in all aspects of riding. The dangerous part is the boredom of mostly commuting and not really having time to go out on longer rides to find twisty roads to practice my riding skills.

Ah well. I'm a . I'll just deal with it. 2500ish miles and counting.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 06:04 AM

Its the dark side... and it's unresistable! MUAHAHAHAHA. It is very addicting. Cause, its fun as hell! Nothing wrong with enjoying yourself. Yes, it may beat the bike. But how many people do you know that own a sports car and just drive it? You own a bike... so push it to its limit! It can't be helped. Its just the way things work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode