Another stoppie question: - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Another stoppie question:

Ok, I'm probably the worst stunter in the world. I still don't have the cojones to try a wheelie yet, but I've been doing little baby stoppies from time to time at red lights and stop signs.

My problem is the bike just started dying when I grab the front brake. The rear wheel doesn't even have to come off of the ground, and the motor will just die.

I did a big one for me (probably 6 inches!) earlier today and the bike died. I thought it might have been a freak instance, but later tonight I came to a stop sign and applied liberal front brake and the bike just died even though the wheel didn't come off of the ground.

Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 04:46 AM

Are you pulling the clutch in?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Yep, clutch all the way in. I don't think it had ever happened before yesterday.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 05:12 AM

Odd. So a strong brake application kills the bike? Right now I'm suspecting a bad clutch, or perhaps the top over sensor.
It may (also unlikely) be ralated to a shorted out brake light.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Ack, I hope it's not the clutch.

My wife would probably kill me after sinking the money for the new Pirelli Diablos.

Should I take this to a shop and have them check it out?

Or just stop doing stoppies?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 07:58 AM

Id try some tests first. If it is the clutch it could just be out of adjustment. The cable got stretched and the clutch isnt disengaging all the way. Try braking hard while giving it some gas (Rpm~=1/2redline) and see if it still happens. If it does, adjust the cable.
Try sitting on the bike, stopped with it running, walk it forward and give it a whole lot of brake while putting all your weigh on the bars. Try to compress the forks as much as you can, and see if it kills the engine, if it does, your tip over switch is mulfunctioning.

It doesnt sound like a stoppie problem, but rather something mechanical that shows itself under hard brakings.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 08:01 AM

First thing you need to do is stop trying them at stop lights and stop signs. This is a horrible idea. Why? Because this is where everyone comes to a stop. Meaning this is where everyone leaves their hunk of shit car to drip fluids everywhere while waiting for their turn to go nowhere. the first time you actually manage to do a stoppie you're going to have the front skidding out from under you and you'll go sliding into oncomming traffic. Somethin tells me your wife will like that a bit less than expensive tires. So to answer your question

1) as Vash said, double check your clutch technique. Maybe tighten your cables up and check for play.

2) Unless you're getting seriously high, your tipover sensor shouldn't be a problem. But who knows, it might. If it is, let me know and I'll tell you how to disable it.

3) Try them with a full tank of gas. It might be something as simple and all your fuel sloshing to one side and the bike sputtering out. The simplest explaination is usually the most overlooked.

4) if you try all of these things and the bike is still sputtering, toss us some more info and we might be able to help you out. Does it only do it when the wheel comes up? Try just slowing down really fast and see if the bike dies. If you can't figure it out, then take it to a shop I guess. I'm not a fan of paying rediculous amounts to have a bike fixed and they usually don't find the prblem anyway.

5) I did a big ass writeup on stoppies and whatnot. And I'm sure there's been a few before mine. Try searching around the stunting forum and you'll find a much more detailed description on what/how to do stoppies. Good luck and be safe!

~ the super
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Id try some tests first. If it is the clutch it could just be out of adjustment. The cable got stretched and the clutch isnt disengaging all the way. Try braking hard while giving it some gas (Rpm~=1/2redline) and see if it still happens. If it does, adjust the cable.
Try sitting on the bike, stopped with it running, walk it forward and give it a whole lot of brake while putting all your weigh on the bars. Try to compress the forks as much as you can, and see if it kills the engine, if it does, your tip over switch is mulfunctioning.

It doesnt sound like a stoppie problem, but rather something mechanical that shows itself under hard brakings.
Damn you for being a faster typer than me! Now I look like a parrot/ skiping record.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
Damn you for being a faster typer than me! Now I look like a parrot/ skiping record.
Get back in your cage!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I'll give those checks a go and see what happens.

As far as the stop signs/stoplights thing, you're absolutely right. There's several places in town where you can't get the back tire to lift because the front slides on the slick pavement.

Stain, if you drive down to KY, I'll let you ride my bike if you'll show me how to wheelie! I'm too chicken I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode