2005 Katana 600 wheelie? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

2005 Katana 600 wheelie?

hey all, got it bout month and a half ago and i've been reading all the advice i can but i still can't get it up at all just jerks forward. Weight is listed at 438 on the bike, any advice? I also read low on the first page about the older katana so don't just shoot me over there lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 08:07 AM

Dude, if you've been riding a month and a half, I'd stay away from wheelies for a little while. The problem isnt getting it up, its what to do with it afterwards. (Applies to many situations). Handling improper landing might be a particular challanged. I know the first time I pulled an intentional wheelie it scared me and I grabbed a handfull of front brake. So I came down with my front tire locked, To this day I cant figure out how I managed not to crash.

But since you are unlikely to listen to this advice. Lets get your wheel off the ground, so you can have the badge, and promise to behave.
Get all your gear on.
Going about 20mph, pull in the clutch, just sort of roll.
Sit back in your seat, back as streight as you can get it.
Rev the engine a few times, then dump the clutch.

The trick is this. it takes very little throttle to rev the engine high when the clutch is pulled in, but as you let it go it tries to bog down. So the idea is to give it more gas as you dump the clutch to keep the revs high.

Be real carefull. Once again I would really hope you wont practice at all for a few more months.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 08:13 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Dude, if you've been riding a month and a half, I'd stay away from wheelies for a little while. The problem isnt getting it up, its what to do with it afterwards. (Applies to many situations). Handling improper landing might be a particular challanged. I know the first time I pulled an intentional wheelie it scared me and I grabbed a handfull of front brake. So I came down with my front tire locked, To this day I cant figure out how I managed not to crash.

But since you are unlikely to listen to this advice. Lets get your wheel off the ground, so you can have the badge, and promise to behave.
Get all your gear on.
Going about 20mph, pull in the clutch, just sort of roll.
Sit back in your seat, back as streight as you can get it.
Rev the engine a few times, then dump the clutch.

The trick is this. it takes very little throttle to rev the engine high when the clutch is pulled in, but as you let it go it tries to bog down. So the idea is to give it more gas as you dump the clutch to keep the revs high.

Be real carefull. Once again I would really hope you wont practice at all for a few more months.

What an irresponsible post.

"Here is the loaded gun, and here is a detailed instruction on how to put it to your head and fire it......but don't."

Yes, I realize information on this topic is all over the internet, but that doesn't mean you have to add to the stupidity, or facilitate someone else's.

eriesporter25: Give it time and learn to ride first, save the wheelies for later.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 08:17 AM

Spicer:
I'm fairly certain the guy is going to go out and try regardless of how many people come out here and tell him not to.
Its no different than the guys that come on with "Can I have an R1 for my first bike?" all they are looking for is validation, not advice.

So given that he is going to try, he might as well have some good info, it might save him.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 08:24 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Quote:
Spicer:
I'm fairly certain the guy is going to go out and try regardless of how many people come out here and tell him not to.
Its no different than the guys that come on with "Can I have an R1 for my first bike?" all they are looking for is validation, not advice.

So given that he is going to try, he might as well have some good info, it might save him.
As I said, there is no need to facilitate the behavior here. Whether he tries it or not shouldn't have anything to do with you. I've seen your advice almost verbatim posted countless times, so let people get it elsewhere. Besides, you only gave half of the story, and the more dangerous half in my opinion. Had you wanted to post something useful you would have gone into what to do when one of his wheelies goes wrong, and one of them eventually will. Covering the rear brake, installing a damper to help with hard/crossed up set downs of the front wheel, crosswinds blowing you all over, etc. You told him how to get up, not what to do after he does. IMO, that is irresponsible and unnecessary. I realize you think you are just helping, but you're not. Most of the members here want others to become successful riders, not squid stunnas who constantly provide the market with high insurance rates and cheap parts.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 08:34 AM

Ya know what, I'm not going to get into this with ya.
Its a stunting forum, someone asked for advice I gave it. No rules broken here. If you dont like it, thats fine, it wouldnt be the first thing about me the ticked you off.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 08:49 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Quote:
Ya know what, I'm not going to get into this with ya.
Its a stunting forum, someone asked for advice I gave it. No rules broken here. If you dont like it, thats fine, it wouldnt be the first thing about me the ticked you off.
Funny, I wasn't trying to get into anything with you. I said my piece and was willing to leave it at that. In spite of what you may think, there is nothing about you that "ticks me off." When not actively reading one of your posts you never even cross my mind. So, if you're done, can we get back to the thread's original topic?

eriesporter25:To answer your question, yes a katana can be wheelied. I've known people who learned to stunt on Ninja 250's. It's all about technique, which is not something that can be described in writing accurately. When you get it, you'll know. If not, you'll be on your ass with potentially serious injuries and/or trashed bike. I'll be the first to admit wheelies are sweet to look at, and I've done a few here and there, but more important than learning how to wheelie is learning what to do once you do get the front up.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
...Most of the members here want others to become successful riders, not squid stunnas who constantly provide the market with high insurance rates and cheap parts.
Welcome to the STUNTING section of this particular forum. In this forum, the answers to STUNT RELATED (IE: wheelies, stoppies, burnouts, etc.) subjects can be found. The members in THIS part of the forum actively and whole heartedly embrase thier "squid stunna" side. We/I would like very much for people to become interested and successful STUNTERS and riders.
Stunting is so often blamed for high insurance rates. But honestly, when was the last time you went to a track day and didn't see at least 3 bikes get trashed? I've seen 3 weeks of straight stunting with over a dozen people at a time and not one single accident. I want to see three track weekends with those statistics.
Yes, I understand that there are inexperienced and STUPID riders doing irresponsible and STUPID things on the highways. Often these people are labeled as squids and blamed for everyone's misfortune. Now, take into account the number of riders who have had a car pull out in front of them, hit some sand in a turn, lowsided/highsided on a back road, hit an animal, had thier bike stolen or vandalised, destroyed by weather or fire, the list goes on. Nobody thinks to blame ANY of those things. But... damn those little bastards and thier stunt bikes. Most of which don't have insurance or, when something breaks, they fix without a claim. The people who are responsible for your insurance rates climbing Aren't stunters. So don't blame them. Shitty situations and irresponsible riding is. And those people aren't stunters. They're exactly that, they're irresponsible people. Some go hand in hand, but not all.
As far as the advice given by Vash. He was asked a question. He answered THAT QUESTION. He also said "I would wait before trying" He covered his bases TWICE saying to wait. Then said "the problem isn't getting it up, it's what you do with it afterwards." again, covering your arguement. He went into detail with a story on how he fuct up a landing. There was nothing irresponsible about his post.
I'm not here to kiss his ass or to rip you one. I'm just pointing out a few facts. The members HERE do like stunting. I will warn anyone of the dangers and consequences of whatever it is they are trying to do. I start every suggestion with "gear up, and find an empty place". and end it with "good luck, and be safe". There is no way to tell a person what to do when shit goes wrong with a wheelie. All you can do is tell them what might happen, and the way you deal with it. Until it actually happens to them, there's no way for them to "learn" it. It's all a learning process. And sadly, when it comes to wheelies, the only way to learn is to fuck one up.

So, to you ErieSporter, I say this...
The information Vash gave you is good. Gear up, stay safe, and keep it off the streets. It takes skill and finess to wheelie a katana well. The information Spicersh gave is also important. There are a million things that can happen when you cut the number of wheels on the ground in half. Just think your actions through, put yourself in those postitions and try to think out a reaction for them. THEN try it. More than likely, you won't do what you thought out. Cause it hasn't become a habit yet. But practice and time will be the only thing that helps that. So don't get frustrated. My input on this, is wait. Learn to ride. Get comfortable. And get a different bike. I know it's not what you want to hear. But katana's aren't stunt bikes. And taking a bike that isn't comfortable or easy to use on 1 wheel only makes things that much harder. Especially when learning. Ride that katana long and hard. Get comfortable with everything on two wheels. THEN go to one. Just like Vash said, more than likely, you won't listen to me. But thats whats great about it... freedom of choice. Just remember. You're choices come with consequences. Hopefully those consequences aren't damage to you, your bike, or someone/something around you. Best of luck. And be safe.

~ your friendly, local, Super
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 04:34 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
blah blah blah...
I not surprised in the least that someone got offended by this, and having seen you around in the recent past it's pretty predictable it turned out to be you. I have neither the time nor interest in discussing this with you now, so I'll simply say that I stand by my earlier statements, if you wish to discuss further then feel free to PM me.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
I not surprised in the least that someone got offended by this, and having seen you around in the recent past it's pretty predictable it turned out to be you. I have neither the time nor interest in discussing this with you now, so I'll simply say that I stand by my earlier statements, if you wish to discuss further then feel free to PM me.
I made it very clear that I was NOT offended. I wasn't trying to pick I fight. I told you that. I was simply pointing out that your arguement with vash was ungrounded. I also posted that the information and statements that you made were very valid. I have a tendency to troll around the stunting forum, so yes, it was predictable that I would reply to a post in this section. You haven't pissed anyone off. And there's nothing to dicuss. I was making a comment... a discussion. Thats what forums are for. No hard feelings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode