Wheelie mess ups - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Wheelie mess ups

So in my years of looking at stunt vids I've seen three types of crashes that are a result of a wheelie (add some if you know more)
1. first is the loop. Pretty self explanatory, and most people agree that the rear brake will save you from that expirience.
2. The tank slapper. I havent figured out exactly what couses that. I've landed wheelies with the front wheel crooked, or with the body of the bike not inline with the road, or with the body leaning to one side. I've never gotten more than one quick jerk out of it, but no oscilations. And thats without a steering dampner. I'm not saying this to brag, but rather to know exactly what to avoid.
3. The sideways fall. This is a confusing one to me. It when the side of the bike hits the ground before the front wheel lands. Like the bike just falls over, sometimes at speed. For the life of me I cannot figure out what can couse that, aside from wind. I've had wind push my bike to the side like that, but I just pulled on the bars and it came back inline.

If you know of other messupts, or have any info on the ones I've mentioned, please post so we can better understand whats going on (and keep from scratching paint)

Other interesting a*s clenching phenomena I've encountered.
1. Wheelying over a small pothole in the road. The back wheel hits the indention and travels much faster, since its on a short downhill slope. Since it gained on the front wheel at that moment, it resulted in the highest wheelie to date.
2. Wheelying on a downhill. The front wheel has a whole lot more to travel to get to the ground. I'm suprised my forks didnt bust.
3. just this morning, wheelying over a wet surface. It had grip when I brought it up, but after a while I got to a part of the asphalt where I lost grip. The rear wheel started spinning and fishtailing (or more like making that snake motion) with the front wheel being perfectly still in the air. very strange.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 11:24 AM

First, I'll add to the fun wrecks I've seen/had while stunting.

1) My all time favorite, the stall. While doing a highchair, or spreader, or trying to do a real slow wheelie. You either hit the kill switch and shut the bike off, or go too slow and stall it out. The result is a mouse-trap like action that slams the front end into the ground and sends you sailing over the clipons.

2) The "endo". Often caused by too much brake pressure or throwing too much weight forward when attempting a stoppie. Pretty simple explination. Rear comes up... and keeps comming up. You get catapulted off and if your luck is running thin the bike lands in the middle of your back. Good times for sure!

3) the ape hanger sucker punch. While doing an ape hanger (the bike is dragging along the ground on the 12 bar, and you hold onto the clipons and drag your feet behind the bike) the bike stalls out and goes slamming forward (just like number 1) since you aren't on the bike, it comes back onto both wheels pulling you up nice and quickly into the big sharp 12 bar crushing your ribs like a sucker punch.

These are just a few of the fun things that have happened to me in my travels.

As far as the other that Vash posted...

The tank slapper. I have a couple clips on here and from other videos that I own that show some killer slaps. tossin people like rag dolls. You've just been lucky so far...
The sideways fall. Usually the sideways fall is just from a rediculous amount of weight transfer. It happens a lot on two up stunts, and with slow stuff where there isn't a lot of gyroscopic (sp) effect on the bike. It just kinda falls to wherever the most weight is. Happens a lot with circle wheelies and other slow stunts.
as far as the potholes go. Just wait until you get into a groove in the road while wheelieing. It sucks you in like a tractor beam and won't let you out. the wheel just stays in the groove and often causes the wheel wobble thing you were talkin about. To compensate for this, lower your rear tire pressure when you know you'll be stunting. it makes it less likely to wobble and has more surface area. Helps a lot.

I'm sure I'll post more when I get bored. Feel free to comment and ask questions!

~ the super
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 01:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
First, I'll add to the fun wrecks I've seen/had while stunting.

1) My all time favorite, the stall. While doing a highchair, or spreader, or trying to do a real slow wheelie. You either hit the kill switch and shut the bike off, or go too slow and stall it out. The result is a mouse-trap like action that slams the front end into the ground and sends you sailing over the clipons.

~ the super
Gotta love when the bike shuts off mid wheelie down the freeway

I also like doing wheelies over slight humpbacks, not enough to fuck you over, but enough to where you can tell the back tire is barely on the ground.

Looking at people while on the back wheel is priceless as it is, doing it down hill is 1000x better

~ the ultra deluxe

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 03:39 PM
jab

You guys pretty much covered it. the one thing ive done a couple times lately that i hadnt done before is kicked my bike out of gear mid wheelie, didnt crash but came down hard. Ive had a couple bad tank slappers, never gone down from those either but scary as hell. It always comes as a surprise, but its always been in a fast wheelie, when ive gotten of balance, and turned the bars, ive also gotten a tank slapper from heavy acceleration going up a steep hill on uneven pavement, all wihtout a damper.Ive known several people whove looped while wheeliing over a small roller style hill, those can through you over quick if youre not on point. Ive talked to alot of beginers and they say they are practicing wheelies by hitting the power on the upside of a hill, i always advise against it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode