Now THIS is a stoppie!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Now THIS is a stoppie!!

I just found this on Craig Jones' sit. I don't know if this mark has been beaten, but HOLY SH*T!!!

(Sorry if this is old news...)

Location …. Florida Evaluation Centre (F.E.C), Naples, Florida.

Date …. 15th August 2003-08-18

Time …. 14.30 hours

Bike used …. Buell XB12R

Air Temperature …. 93.6 degrees

Track Temperature … 102.0 degrees

Wind speed …. 2 mph head wind

Relative Humidity…. 51

Starting take off speed … 130 mph ( 208 km/hr)

Distance carried on front wheel … 873 feet (266 metres)

Modifications to bike ….

Remove all rear brake system inc rear disc
Remove passenger pegs
Remove passenger seat
Remove all indicators
Remove rear view mirrors
Replace clip-on handle bars with motocross type bars
Load front fairing area with approx 30 kg of lead ballast weight

Important notes …..

1. We realised that the last world record stoppie of 740 feet (225.5 metres), was probably the limit using a stock Buell XB9S all but changing the handlebars. So to go a greater distance would require extensively modifying a stock bike.
Looking at the challenge scientifically, three factors were realised. We needed a greater take off speed. We needed a more aerodynamic shape in order to gain speed and stability. We needed to lighten the back end of the bike and add additional front forward ballast weight to make the bike lift easier.
The Buell XB12R was chosen. It automatically has more top speed due to the bigger engine size and power output. It has a more aerodynamic fairing shape but more importantly, the fairing is frame mounted. This enables additional weight to be added to this area without effecting steering. So the bike will remain stable. This additional ballast weight positioned in the front fairing area has three purposes. (a) The buell has a very low centre of gravity which is ideal for track and road handling. However, for the purpose of this high speed stoppie, which is a very unnatural and extreme maneuvre, a relatively low centre of gravity is not necessarily required. So a front forward ballast weight will lift the centre of gravity forward and up. (b) A ballast weight will act as a counter balance weight against the weight of the rider. Thus creating a pendulum effect pivoting via the front wheel. (c) A ballast weight will help to prevent the bike from being lifted so high when the front brake is initially applied at high speed due to high air pressure and drag.

The combination of the above has resulted in Craig Jones being capable of carrying an EXTRA front wheel stoppie distance of 133 feet (40.5 metres) over and above the existing world record set by himself.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:08 PM

Sorry to bust your bubble boss. That record has been anhialated. Ryan cramer from dv8 destroyed it on a stock and BORROWED gixxer 750. then came back and redid it on his bike and beat that record. I believe the new record OFFICIALLY is 973 ft. but the unoficial (did it before the camera and measuring equipment was set up) was 1003 feet. I have the video around here somewhere. I'll see if I can get it up on here. Dude is insane!

~ the super
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
...I believe the new record OFFICIALLY is 973 ft. but the unoficial (did it before the camera and measuring equipment was set up) was 1003 feet...
HOLY F*CKIN' SH*T!!!! That is BEYOND insane!!

I did a quick search earlier, but I couldn't find a more recent record than the one I posted.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:23 PM

I stand corrected. After a bit more searching, Mr. Cramer still owns the stoppie record on a stock gixxer... @ 1054 feet!! Now thats rollin!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

On a STOCK bike! That's phenominal...

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:35 PM

Since we're on teh subject of stoppies a lot. How bout some videos??

1. Stoppies are fun!
http://www.stunters.com/video/STUNTERS-stoppies-005.wmv

2. The old record set by thew blankstrom
http://www.stunters.com/video/STUNTERS-stoppies-003.wmv

3. What set of videos would be complete without a wreck?
http://www.stunters.com/video/STUNTERS-stoppies-002.wmv
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:48 PM

As for the last wreck what protection is there for yourself or your bike for f'n up a stoppie? 12oclock bars for wheelies, cages for bike falling over, but is there a training wheel that sticks out in front on the market?

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 10:38 PM

well, the only "protection" is a front stay/ upper cage. 905 racing makes them. They protect the bike. But not you. 12 bars def don't protect you from looping. and a wheel on the front wouldn't do you any good, unless it was two wheels. plus, how gay would you look with a set of training wheels pokin out your headlight haha.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:00 PM

I'm confused how does that cage supposed to work? Seems like it would just break your entire front off instead of just cracking one side...

Edited for spelling

Last edited by Vash; 07-06-2005 at 04:23 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
plus, how gay would you look with a set of training wheels pokin out your headlight haha.
Very gay, but there are training wheels on the Keith Code's "slide machine" and there is a wheelie bar on a bike for a wheelie school, so I think there will soon be a stoppie school that has a bike equipped with wheels off the front.

Hurry Roadstain, this could be your chance to make some money from your squidlyness by starting the first "Stoppie School"

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode