Stunting a salvage/title-less bike. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Stunting a salvage/title-less bike.

This is a perfect thread for endlesswaves, so I will also probably make a similar thread in a forum he visits more often. But, my question is this. Anybody know your state and local laws as far as stunting a salvaged (unregistered) or titleless (IE no numbers or title or whatever) bike? I got lucky with my old gixxer when the cops showed up at the one wreck I had. It was actually on the road. It has no lights of any kind on it, no paperwork whatsoever, and the numbers were ground off. It was built from the ground up with parts bought off ebay. Including the numberless frame. Yes, I know, I'm a horrible person for encouraging and helping the thieving bastards... but how could I pass on a straight frame for 50 bucks?? Cop showed up, I explained. and he was cool with it. The bike was fuct anyway. But anyhow.

what are the laws? I'm moving to florida @ the end of august. And I don't want to have my bike taken from me and get arrested for stolen property or some craziness. I would only use it as a lot bike. Not on the road. trailer it to the spot and all that. Is there any way to legitamize a numberless frame? Should I look into a salvage frame with numbers to save myself the headache? anyone have one? What are the repricusions. Anyone ever get busted with such a thing? Feel free to toss in your input. Thanks for the info.

~ the super
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:38 PM

According to this: Linky! in Florida you would be guilty of a Felony in the 3rd Degree (whatever that means).

Unless I remember wrong (correct me if I am, endles) it's a D felony here in Kentucky for exactly the same offense. So getting a new frame with a VIN may or may not work, depending on what your state's inspection laws are on rebuilds or custom bikes.

If you want my advice, I would scrap that frame before I found myself looking at a mandatory minimum year in prison. As a cop, if I were to find someone in possession of something like that, they would have to face the charges. A frame for $50.00? That's a no-brainer. I've arrested people with $400.00 stereos that they paid $25.00 for and didn't believe that being in possession of stolen property was a crime.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:00 PM

Hi RoadstainR6-

Ditch this cursed bike that was acquired on the agony of many innocent victims. Promise never to do business with lowlife creeps you may encounter and let the truth set you free.

~ Blue Jays ~

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:05 PM

Better yet Roadstain, take the bike and yourself down to your nearest police station, turn yourself in, and get what's coming to you.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
Better yet Roadstain, take the bike and yourself down to your nearest police station, turn yourself in, and get what's coming to you.
Rather heartless of you to say this eh?

Me Big Brother, me watching you

skylinerydr- where the ground meets the sky

Today is the day of the beginning of your life, ride safe
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ga_skyline_rydr
Rather heartless of you to say this eh?
I have no respect for thieves. I have more respect for people who randomly kill people in parking lots than I do for thieves.

I look at it like an 'old west' sort of thing. Steal a horse, get hanged. It's that simple for me.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 10:00 PM

Sorry to get so serious on you, Skyline. Theft is just a topic that causes me to lose my sense of humor in record time.

Anyway, how's the weather down there in Hotlanta? Feeling the humidity yet?
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 06:52 AM

Hi sidewaysducati-

Thieves are creeps, but you have LESS respect for them than murderers who "...randomly kill people in parking lots..." by comparison? Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have my motorcycle stolen than have someone walk up behind me and put a bullet through my ear for no reason. Why is that criminal somehow deserving of some respect over a common thief...or were you just being sarcastic?

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 07:21 AM

I came across a bike with a newly stamped frame from the DMV or some LE. This bike had been stolen (I guess) and instead of the 17 digit VIN the DMV stamped a AZ12345 VIN on it. The owner didn't have the title, so a 'bond title' is the only thing the DMV would issue me, which meant that anytime in the next 3 years a previous legitimate owner could reclaim the bike from me and I would have nothing, unless I got the bond title and moved out of state, then the bike would be mine and no one could claim it. It all sounded like too much of a hassle so I didnt get the bike.

In your case, you are moving out of state, but it needs for the LE or DMV to put a new stamp on the bike before you could get a 'bond title'. I guess you could anonymously contact the DMV or LE and find out if they would re-issue a VIN or put you in jail if you brought the frame to them.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
Tell you what, I will. I'm not a thief and have nothing to hide. I will turn the frame in. I'm not about to have my integrity questioned and be gutted over something like this. I'm not a thief, never have been, and never will be. Don't judge me based on your ignorance. I didn't buy the frame knowing it was stolen. Police officers have already examined the bike before. I was given no grief by them once I told my story and presented the bill of sale and reciepts. Yes, I should have taken it and cut the head off it when I got it. But I didn't. My bad. Don't come on here tellin me I deserve to die or be in jail over it. I understand you don't like thieves. Nobody does. And I have nothing against you voicing your opinion. But don't label me. I'm not a thief. I am asking what I can do to legitimize the situation and keep myself from being labeled as such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode