Learning Stoppies... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Learning Stoppies...

I just learned how to do a stoppie yesterday and have to say...wow there addicting...probably the most ive gone is about 10 feet....just thought id share....got scared once cause i thought i was gonna flip it haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:10 PM

what's the difference between a stoppie and an endo... i thought if you rode it out for more than a few feet than it's called an endo... anyways, i can do pretty decent stoppies and the lights and stop signs but have been a little reserved about trying to ride them out. I only seem to do it just as I'm coming to a stop and then jamming on the brake and it comes up and then right back down. Sometimes it comes up pretty high and scares me and other times it only comes up a little bit. I'm starting to get a much better feel for getting the rear end up a little higher but I'm still a little nervous about messing up my bike. I can't decide if I want to go any further with these wheelies and stoppies because yes they are very addicting, debating getting a second bike for the sold purpose of beating the shit out of it and trying to keep it on one. Maybe i should just by a uni-cycle instead.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

To my knowledge an endo is just when you come up to a stop light or whatever and jam your front brakes on and the rear lifts up while you are completely stopped....a stoppie is when you ride on your front wheel for a distance

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:52 AM
jab

the terms stoppie and endo are the same thing, some people say one, some say the other, a while back people would say rolling stoppie or rolling endo, but now i think its assumed that its rolling because the sport has progressed, but theres no technical dif that i know of. BTw slamming the brakes stoppies easier to flip than rolling, cause when youre rolling if you start to go over you can ease of the brake and save it, but once youve lost momentum you lose that safety check. just start going about 30 and apply more and more brake until you get comfortavble coming up!!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:04 AM

Its one of those odd things. Rolling stoppies are easier to do once you got your technique down, but static stoppies are easier to learn.
Just make sure your front tire is nice and warm before you start. Go down the block while holding the front brake a tad. Make sure the road you are practicing is even. The based pavement in my book is of the grey, kind of rough variety.

Oh yeah, should you lock up the front tire with the rear in the air, its up to god wether you fall or not. Not much you can do to save em, just a matter of luck.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

When doing a stoppie should i start the habbit or putting on the back brake to stop the back tire from spinning or is htat just people preference who dont like to hear the nice smack of there bike coming back to earth
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 08:38 AM

As far as I know the snapping sound isnt hurting anything.

Ok maybe your chain, but not nearly as much as wheelies do.. Up to you...

As far as I know the only thing stoppies hurt is your front tire life.. unless you mess them up...

Hey SuperSquid what are your views on this?

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:07 AM

I'd imagine they burn up your brakes pretty good as well.. i can't believe some of you think it's easier to learn rolling rather than static... then again i've never tried rolling. Anyone wanna give a step by step and some more pointers?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i think its easier learning rolling ones....just ride with your body centered on your bike get to the speed at which you want to start trying them lets say 10 mph....apply your brakes so your forks compress and once you feel the front end start to dip give another harder grab of the brakes while sliding or shifting your body weight towards the gas tank. and remember to squeez tight against the tank with your legs as you start to go up.....oh yeah and as for brakes....as far as i know the only real "stress" your putting on them is the initial braking to get the rear end up after that your not really squeezing very hard on the brakes cause you dont want to flip over..you just want to play with the brakes just enough to keep the back end off the ground and not go over fhe front.

Last edited by Yosh750; 06-27-2005 at 09:19 AM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 09:19 AM

going to bike night at hooter's tonight... i'll have to give it a go and see what happens, hopefully I'll still have my nose and teeth tomorrow morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode