My first wheelie - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

My first wheelie

I just bought the CBR 600rr. My last bike was a bandit and i had to pop the clutch real hard to get the front up. whats a good method for a higher powered bike like my rr?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:33 AM

wheeliezzzzz

rev your bike up to about 6000 rpms in 1 st gear.
let off the gas until it drop back to about 4000 rpms
then snap the throttle back open.
make sure u cover the rear brake with your foot! just in case...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:43 AM

Re: wheeliezzzzz

Quote:
Originally posted by dougiefresh
Until you get used to how the bike responds anyway. Eventually you will be able to get the front end up without clutching or what he described. The bike will want to come up under full acceleration anyway... its just a matter of controlling it and knowing where the ballance point is.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:54 PM

here ya go......

...put the bike in neutral but keep pressure on your rear brake. Have three of your strongest friends lift the front of the bike to the balance point, let off of your brake and then have them run as fast as they can down the street! Coolest wheelie you'll ever pull! Good luck!!!!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
Re: here ya go......

Quote:
Originally posted by endleswavz
...put the bike in neutral but keep pressure on your rear brake. Have three of your strongest friends lift the front of the bike to the balance point, let off of your brake and then have them run as fast as they can down the street! Coolest wheelie you'll ever pull! Good luck!!!!!
I *heart* this post.

-sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 08:20 AM

Make sure all your firends are coordinated....
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:05 PM

Re: wheeliezzzzz

Quote:
Originally posted by dougiefresh
I have an 04 600rr, if you try a throttle wheelie at these rpms, youll never get it up. rev it up to about 9000 instead of 6 because this is where the powerband really kicks in on the rr. any higher than that and bike bike will come up even faster.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 05:14 AM

you sure your shutting the throttle all the way off so the forks can compress when you try it around 4k rpms
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 01:54 PM

again with this close the throttle snap the throttle crap. unpredictable as hell! Why is it that I'm the only one who feels this way? Here is why I, in my humble opinion, feel that pow pow power wheelies are horrible.

So, you're cruisin down the road on your brand new 600rr. in 1st gear your bike can do a comfortable 60 mph. Impressive. So, you decide you want to pull a wheelie. You go bombin down the road, look down at your tach, and see 9grand. Then you let off the throttle real quick and the engine brake makes the bike dip foreward a bit, then you crack it wide open up screams the front end. Great, you just did a wheelie.

Now the shitty part. You're goin 55. When you let off the gas and compressed the forks, you lost your body position. When you cracked the throttle you over anticipated the unpredictable leap of the front wheel and leaned forward while pulling up on the bars. This caused you to cock the bars and throw the bike off at a weird angle. Now you panic cause the bike is careening off to the side of the road. You get so nervous you forget to cover/hit the rear brake... your mind goes blank. You can only think one thing. *shit...* As you lose control of the bike it flips you off the back. Just as it hits the guard rail with you sliding right behind it you think to yourself. "damn... how did that happen?"

Doing power wheelies is a horrible idea. especially for a rider who is still learning. The rebound of the forks is never predictable. The lurch given by letting off the throttle almost always throws off your body position. Cracking the throttle almost always causes you to turn the bars. Best case senerio of this whole endeavor is you let off the throttle as soon as it came up, and the bike dips back down and you end up chasing a 1 ft high wheelie to redline.

Now I know everyone has to start somewhere. And believe me, I sucked when I started this stuff. But bear with me and think outside the box for a second.

1st gear. 20 mph. Knees locked onto the tank. Back straight and head up. Arms locked out. Right foot over the brake. Say to yourself 3 times "hit the brake, hit the brake, hit the brake" as a reminder that it is there should you need it. Reach up with 2 fingers, stay steady on the throttle, slip the clutch, and rengage it quickly. The bike just lurches foreward. No biggy. You know you need more RPM's. So, you do it again. 20 mph, all positioned, says brake, two fingers, slip the clutch, add a few rpms. Don't look, just listen. Boom, front wheel comes up! Not real high. But not enough to scare the hell out of you either. You try to ride it out. It climbs higher as you chase it. Then you hit the brake before the redline and bring it back down. Not too bad, you start figuring out what the sensation is like, and how many rpms you need. You go back, 1st gear, 20-25 mph, all locked in, slip it with just a few more rpm's. Wheel comes higher, you ride it longer. So on and so forth. This method is 10 times safer. The wheel comes into the air smoother. You're not leaping unpredictably into the sky at a weird angle. perfect. it takes practice. But I guarantee... try it, and you'll like it ten times more than any power wheelie. Especially when you get the balls to try standups... and 2nd gear. Any stock 600 on the market right now can do a wheelie in gears 1-3. And you never need to go faster than 3rd gear.

While this is all just a *semi* humble suggestion... I do suggest it. Try it. You might not like it at first, cause you're not used to it. But all of the sudden it will click. And you will go "yeeeaaaa, thats what he was talkin about!!". Feel free to make your comments and criticism. (Sp). I've been doin wheelies for a long time. I'm probably the biggest squid on the site. This is my Let me know what you think.

~ The super
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 05:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to sisqo
Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
again with this close the throttle snap the throttle crap. unpredictable as hell! Why is it that I'm the only one who feels this way? Here is why I, in my humble opinion, feel that pow pow power wheelies are horrible.

So, you're cruisin down the road on your brand new 600rr. in 1st gear your bike can do a comfortable 60 mph. Impressive. So, you decide you want to pull a wheelie. You go bombin down the road, look down at your tach, and see 9grand. Then you let off the throttle real quick and the engine brake makes the bike dip foreward a bit, then you crack it wide open up screams the front end. Great, you just did a wheelie.

Now the shitty part. You're goin 55. When you let off the gas and compressed the forks, you lost your body position. When you cracked the throttle you over anticipated the unpredictable leap of the front wheel and leaned forward while pulling up on the bars. This caused you to cock the bars and throw the bike off at a weird angle. Now you panic cause the bike is careening off to the side of the road. You get so nervous you forget to cover/hit the rear brake... your mind goes blank. You can only think one thing. *shit...* As you lose control of the bike it flips you off the back. Just as it hits the guard rail with you sliding right behind it you think to yourself. "damn... how did that happen?"

Doing power wheelies is a horrible idea. especially for a rider who is still learning. The rebound of the forks is never predictable. The lurch given by letting off the throttle almost always throws off your body position. Cracking the throttle almost always causes you to turn the bars. Best case senerio of this whole endeavor is you let off the throttle as soon as it came up, and the bike dips back down and you end up chasing a 1 ft high wheelie to redline.

Now I know everyone has to start somewhere. And believe me, I sucked when I started this stuff. But bear with me and think outside the box for a second.

1st gear. 20 mph. Knees locked onto the tank. Back straight and head up. Arms locked out. Right foot over the brake. Say to yourself 3 times "hit the brake, hit the brake, hit the brake" as a reminder that it is there should you need it. Reach up with 2 fingers, stay steady on the throttle, slip the clutch, and rengage it quickly. The bike just lurches foreward. No biggy. You know you need more RPM's. So, you do it again. 20 mph, all positioned, says brake, two fingers, slip the clutch, add a few rpms. Don't look, just listen. Boom, front wheel comes up! Not real high. But not enough to scare the hell out of you either. You try to ride it out. It climbs higher as you chase it. Then you hit the brake before the redline and bring it back down. Not too bad, you start figuring out what the sensation is like, and how many rpms you need. You go back, 1st gear, 20-25 mph, all locked in, slip it with just a few more rpm's. Wheel comes higher, you ride it longer. So on and so forth. This method is 10 times safer. The wheel comes into the air smoother. You're not leaping unpredictably into the sky at a weird angle. perfect. it takes practice. But I guarantee... try it, and you'll like it ten times more than any power wheelie. Especially when you get the balls to try standups... and 2nd gear. Any stock 600 on the market right now can do a wheelie in gears 1-3. And you never need to go faster than 3rd gear.

While this is all just a *semi* humble suggestion... I do suggest it. Try it. You might not like it at first, cause you're not used to it. But all of the sudden it will click. And you will go "yeeeaaaa, thats what he was talkin about!!". Feel free to make your comments and criticism. (Sp). I've been doin wheelies for a long time. I'm probably the biggest squid on the site. This is my Let me know what you think.

~ The super
Im with this guy, Ive lived through the troubling period he has described. Behind you 100% bro.

You have the right to remain silent and errrm open your legs furrr me. -drunk friend and oblivious female-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode