What a rush - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

What a rush

I finally found a good back road for practicing wheelies. I was there for the past couple hours. I still can't pull it up everytime so I'm a little discouraged, but the few times I got the front wheel up real nice, it was the most incredible feeling. I'm pretty sure I have the right technique down, I just need to have the balls to whack the throttle open enough everytime as I let the clutch go. Anyway, I'm sure you guys have probably forgotten the first wheelie you did, but it's a ton of fun.

Last edited by Unas_the_Slayer; 05-01-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 12:05 PM

Re: What a rush

Quote:
Originally posted by Unas_the_Slayer
...Anyway, I'm sure you guys have probably forgotten the first wheelie you did, but it's a ton of fun...
Nope, never done one. Never tried. Never had the inclination to try.

That being said, congratulations to you, sir, on this momentous occasion!!

No, I'm not being sarcastic. I just thought I'd dress it up a bit for you.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

I was out again, and I'm definitely getting better. But then I realized that when I pulled it up, I could hear the chain slamming tight. I guess it was a little loose. The previous owner put a 520 DID chain on the bike, I guess it isn't the best chain for stunting since it's lighter? I'll have to make extra sure it's at the right tension and lubed.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Unas_the_Slayer
Thanks.

I was out again, and I'm definitely getting better. But then I realized that when I pulled it up, I could hear the chain slamming tight. I guess it was a little loose. The previous owner put a 520 DID chain on the bike, I guess it isn't the best chain for stunting since it's lighter? I'll have to make extra sure it's at the right tension and lubed.
520 is fine. Just tighten it up. Good job on the wheelie... but be careful.. they're addicting hehe

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
520 is fine. Just tighten it up. Good job on the wheelie... but be careful.. they're addicting hehe

Yep, I'm gonna tighten it tommorow when it stops raining. And I know.. I've been doing them every single time I have to come to a stop. I kind of feel like an asshole, but I can't help it!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 08:11 PM

Wheelies are definately addicting ( Hense My User Name). Just remember to be safe. You will get better as time progresses. Practice makes perfect. After you get bored with conventional wheelies you will start doing all sorts of different things while riding on the back wheel. You will eventually find your favorite way to pull the bike up and let it down. Good luck and be safe.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 08:07 AM

Never forget my first wheelie. A near 0mph 4foot+ high wheelie. Never intending to do anything but rev the engine a few times before I get going... just let out the clutch...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 09:29 PM

Hey Unas_the_Slayer,

I noticed u justed learned whellies on your F3.. I also have and F3 and I am trying to learn . Are u getting the wheel up in 1st or 2nd?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 10:38 AM

You can do it in both, hell you can do it in third if you really want to. Start learning in first though, more torque (A little more twitchy though) makes it easier. I did a quick "How To" write up on it somewhere on here. Have fun and be safe...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by nova5757
Hey Unas_the_Slayer,

I noticed u justed learned whellies on your F3.. I also have and F3 and I am trying to learn . Are u getting the wheel up in 1st or 2nd?
I only do it in 1st. I don't doubt it could come up in 2nd, but then you're moving a lot faster and I'm afraid of dropping my bike at those speeds. Also my bike is geared -1 +2. With that in mind, the way I pop the front up is accelerate to 5k then pull in the clutch lever with two fingers. I rev it up to 8-10k rpms and at the same time pop the clutch out. Depending on how high you rev it/how quickly you let out the clutch, the front wheel comes up to different heights. Even when it comes up pretty high, it's easily controllable, but start slow anyway and get used to the feeling. Plus in first you have more engine braking so all you have to do is let off the throttle and it will drop back to earth. Try to ease on the throttle just before you hit the ground or else you might crash down a bit hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode