Tank Slappers - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Tank Slappers

A friend of mine recently wrecked his SV1k bringing down a second gear wheelie. Guess the steering dampner didnt do him any good. Anyways he is alright, just some roadrash, and his bike is fixable.

But the question is, what is it one is supposed to do once a slapper starts?

Seems to me the right responce would be to get on the gas, hard. that would take the weight of the front end, let you steady it out. Of course the bike can still wobble around the rear end, but that doesnt seem like it would be so bad.

Of course I've also heard that tank slappers are coused by the front end being too light, which would suggest getting on the brakes (Somehow i keep seing that ending up very bad)

Or is it one of those situations that there is no way to save, and you might as well start thinking about the best way to ditch your bike?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Re: Tank Slappers

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
...Seems to me the right responce would be to get on the gas, hard...

...suggest getting on the brakes...
Like you, I would think that acceleration, rather than deceleration is the way to go.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:38 PM

I used to have some problems with tank slappers with the stock damper on my GSXR 750. I got a good deal on a hyper pro damper, purchased it and haven't had a problem since. As for how to fix it...... I am unsure! Seems to me like acceleration would help.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:21 PM

Tank slappers are caused by either A: quick acceleration and the front wheel "floating" but still touching the ground... this causes a wobble in the wheel, then a "slap". Or B: Comming down from a wheelie with the bars turned.

Both can be solved with a good damper (and landing with the wheelstraight). But yes, everyone who said accellerating was correct. It's the only way I've seen anyone get out of one... that or being the hulk and able to hold the bars steady....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

I've landed a few wheelies with the bars crooked, and it didnt seem to be a big deal. Just one relativly gentle woble and the bike was inline and going. I still try to avoid doing that, less something worse happens.

Something else happened this weekend that has me thinking. The warmer roads are giving me confidence to push my bike further, and I'm taking full advantage of it. I got to the edge of my 180's (I could do that much easier to 190's) and scaped footpegs a few times. Ok so this might be laughable to some of you, but to me its an accomplisment.
In some of the tighter turns the front tire would start to loose traction. when it would it would slide a little ways, and the bars would turn into the corner abit more than they normally would. With the tire turned abit, it would catch traction not with the part that is normally touching the ground, but a slight bit higher (or forward). When that would happen the tire would come back inline with the bike rather violently. Since it was just one jerk, the effects are about the same as hitting a big bump at full lean angle. However if that was to turn into an oscilation i would be in trouble.
Is this something that can be dialed out with suspension?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 09:12 AM

Well I personally have never had any problems with tank slaps but ALL suzukis come factory with stabilizers.... But ive seen many people come off of wheelies and have it happen the only thing ive ever seen anyone do is just let go of the bars....most people arnt the hulk and cant hold on so just hope like hell that it works its way out.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 09:32 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by 750babe
Well I personally have never had any problems with tank slaps but ALL suzukis come factory with stabilizers....
I'm not sure that the fact that Suzukis require that a steering damper be installed in stock form is a plus....sounds like bad engineering to me.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

I think its more a case of bad PR, due to the whole TLR incident.

Besides a steering stabalizer is not a cure all for tank slappers. Especially the cheap one that factories throw on there.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
I'm not sure that the fact that Suzukis require that a steering damper be installed in stock form is a plus....sounds like bad engineering to me.

Bad engineering??? Please! Just because Suzuki wants their riders to stay alive more than the people who make your p.o.s. doesnt mean its bad engineering! And it may be a cheap factory one but its sill better than no stabilizer at all. Dont pick on me b/c im a girl you guys I do kinda know what im talking about.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

We are picking on you couse you ride a zuki...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode