Advance Wheelie Question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Advance Wheelie Question

I have been riding for about 10 years and Wheelies are no problem for me, but I want to find out the details of what it takes to keep a stand up going for upto a mile. I always start in second and let it go to redline before puting it down. I have an 04 r1 which has plenty of power. I understand the balance point is key, but is second gear capable of this? Or is third gear the only way? Thanks for any knowledgeable help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 06:55 PM

try shifting....i can shift clutchlessly....helps a ton...but never measured the distance of my whooolies
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 04:33 AM

Re: Advance Wheelie Question

Quote:
Originally posted by cycleguy77
I have been riding for about 10 years and Wheelies are no problem for me, but I want to find out the details of what it takes to keep a stand up going for upto a mile. I always start in second and let it go to redline before puting it down. I have an 04 r1 which has plenty of power. I understand the balance point is key, but is second gear capable of this? Or is third gear the only way? Thanks for any knowledgeable help.
Balance point.. You need to get to the point where the bike feels weightless.. Yes 2nd gear is highly capible.. Just need to practice maybe get someone to take some pictures of how high you are so u can look at them.. I dont think ur high enough by the way it sounds.. Are you clutching or bouncing?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 07:01 AM

there is no reason to ride a mile long wheelie unless its for a vid,or stunt show. oil starvation can and will occur on many bikes.this will lead to a blown or siezied motor and you being launched onto your head.
anything more than a couple blocks and you have proved your point.
i have seen this happen at far shorter distance than a mile,i have also seen people do them for well over a mile. but they consider there stunt bike disposable.
if you are hitting the redline the bike is not high enough.like suggested get someone to film it and you will know how much further to go back.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:12 PM

Wheelie for blocks... at 2 mph... just takes brake control and being at balance point. There is absolutley NO REASON to shift in a wheelie. If you have to shift... you're just chasing it... which means you will continue to chase it... then you will realize you're going 120 and when you put the front down, you'll get a tank slapper. and then you will hate stunting. 1st gear... clutch it up at 20 mph... hit bp at 25.... roll as far as you like. Cover the rear brake. You can go for days.

To answer the oil starvation question. You're typical sport bike (minus gixxers) has the oil pickup in the rear of the pan... so starvation shouldn't be a problem. I know guys who do bar trick for days and have no problems. Nothing that can't be fixed by putting an extra half quart of oil in the bike. Gixxers on the other hand, need an oil pickup. Stuntex.com makes an awesome one. Relocates the pickup. Still add an extra half court... can do 12 o'clock burnouts all day... no problems.

*sorry to dig up an older one... I'm bored and reading through posts...

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 07:16 PM

On a Superbike.com, that UK mag, there was a video of a guy doing a ten mile wheelie, it looking like he was on a newer GSXR750, does this mean he had to get the "oil relocator pump"? I ve never heard of that. Anyways

Trevor

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 12:14 PM

You don't NEED it for your standard wheelie. Just overfill the oil a bit and you "should" be fine. The oil pickup just relocates it to the rear... cause in a wheelie thats where all the oil goes. Helps with starvation problems. I've seen the vid before, but I don't know if he had the pickup or not. I got it for bar tricks... when it's sittin at 12 and you start smokin the tire... oil becomes very important!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonchaser13
there is no reason to ride a mile long wheelie unless its for a vid,or stunt show. oil starvation can and will occur on many bikes.this will lead to a blown or siezied motor and you being launched onto your head.
anything more than a couple blocks and you have proved your point.
i have seen this happen at far shorter distance than a mile,i have also seen people do them for well over a mile. but they consider there stunt bike disposable.
if you are hitting the redline the bike is not high enough.like suggested get someone to film it and you will know how much further to go back.
Smartest post yet, It is all about brake controle!!! cover your rear break with your big toe, gives you the piece of mind to get to a ballance point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode