Stand up wheelies. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Stand up wheelies.

I cant seem to get that one started. With my weight being so high above the bike, the sudden acceleration throws me back too far. I tried starting a sitdown wheelie and then standing up while its in the air, but it never seems to work quiet right.
All of this is done in 1st gear off the throttle.
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 11:02 AM

It makes it alot easier if you stand on the rear pegs. put your feet on the back pegs, stand up a little hunched over, give a little off the throttle and back on, it will come right up smoothly as long as you don't clutch it
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 06:14 PM

Before you start putting your feet on the back pegs i'd get used to your feet on the front pegs, it can be done rather easily.

Get your rpm to your bikes power band, stand up, let off the gas, bounce down an at the same time hit the gas. Try an keep your weight towards the back of the bike, like when you bounce lean back some. It'll take a little getting used to but with some practice you'll get it.

Your hand position on the throttle is gonna be different than sit downs, so it may take a little getting used to.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 06:14 PM

oh, and do it in 2nd gear, not first
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Havent been able to bring it up in second with just the throttle. I practice clutching it in first, but I am not getting repeatable results. Sometimes it pops up a few inches, othertimes I almost flip it. Not confident enough yet to go for higher speeds.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by preppy11n
It makes it alot easier if you stand on the rear pegs. put your feet on the back pegs, stand up a little hunched over, give a little off the throttle and back on, it will come right up smoothly as long as you don't clutch it
Ok i have a question you said bounce down and hit the gas at the same time. when you bounce down do you let it come up and hit the gas or as you bounce down hit the gas for it to come up?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 02:47 PM

hit the gas right when you bounce down, the bike only bounces for a split second so by the time you hit the gas it will be on its way up.

also dont clutch it up in first, thats an easy way to loop it, clutch it in second
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 04:23 PM

What bike are you tring to do this with?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:30 AM

I've got a big suggestion: don't do a stand-up in 1st gear, unless you want to kiss you and your bike bye-bye. You will loop it if you do that. 2nd gear and above only, until you are really good, and then move on to 1st gear stand up. Then come slow wheelies in 1st and 2nd....that's when it's fun. For now, be safe, and rock 'em in 2nd. Your bike can do that.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

its an '03 kawi z1k. the gearing is -1 front +2 rear. I dont think any of it can be blamed on the bike.

The other thing that concerns me about 2nd gear is the much higher speed everything will be happenening in. I figured if I'm going to loop it, I would rather do it at 40 than 90

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode