Can someone tell me what happened? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Can someone tell me what happened?

I was riding a 2nd gear wheelie when the bike started doing what I call the "boogie woogie" It just started wobbling back and forth. I had to set it down as the wobbling was getting worse and I was out of gear. When the front came down it went into a tank slapper from hell. I rode that for like, a second and a half and then it was sparks and me sliding down the road. So what caused the bike to start wobbling while on the rear wheel? Would a fairly worn back tire do this? It hadn't done that before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 06:57 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I'm not a stunter, so these are just speculation. A worn tire, changes in the road surface (bumps, etc.), a gust of wind, being slightly off balance yourself.....all possibilities. Without being there I doubt anyone can say for sure what it was. Hope you're ok!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've got rash here and there but I had gloves and boots so it is minimal considering what could have happened. I slid most of the way on my feet with my hands down for stability. But the bike

Anyway, I noticed the bike doing a little bit of the whobbly just the day before this happened, whereas it never did that before. Of course the time I wrecked it was way worse, it was more than just a little wobbly. That's why I wondered if it would have something to do with the tire, as if the tire was worn to the point where it would cause that to happen. Something happened up there that hadn't happened the many times before...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 07:09 AM

That sucks glad to hear you are ok!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 12:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
You probly weren`t being smooth with your right hand... My tire is way past due for being replaced and I can still do them for over half a mile with no problems, it does give it a little wobble sometimes, but only if I don`t bring it up smooth to begin with (thats even on PA roads). Or your tire could have been low on pressure... low pressure is good for the slow stuff but not for freeways.

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 01:44 PM

The only time my tire wobble like that was when I got a flat in it. Like you the day before you could tell something was different but nothing ti be worried about. Then the next day it was like what is goin on here! I had a small hole that let the air out a little at a time until you could see it really flat. If your tire is ok or next time you think somethings wrong do the soap and water test for a air leak. Fill the tire up with air and rub the soap and water over the tire and look for bubbles. I'm sorry to hear about it I hope you can get back on the road and that you recover asap.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 12:30 PM

drop air pressure, make sure your rear wheel is staright and don't ride on grooved roads. Also use a steering stabilizer. They save lives
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:25 PM

wheeling

imo i ride them all the time and the reason you get woobly is your pulling up to hard or bouncing more weight on one foot or the other. if you clutch up dont pull to hard and if you do pull hard keep your pull even on both bars. all it takes is just a slight pull right or left before the front leaves the ground to cause a wobble. keep in mind all this happens very fast and you might not notice turning the bars. if you bounce them up bounc even and remember you only get tank slap if you dont set them down when the wobble starts dont try and ride the wooble out just sit it down and start over it hurts less. hope this helps
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 05:55 AM

Worn rear tire can cause a wobble like that.
The rear on my 929 is pretty worn and kind of flat in the middle (but at the right psi) and it's started to weave/wobble back and forth when I'm doing fast wheelies. It doesn't really get too serious though, I usually just ride through it, and I've never had any trouble when I set the bike down, but I've got a Scotts dampener too.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 11:51 PM

Not one person here has the right answer but I do, its definitley not having a worn tire. Too much air pressure in the tire and being just below balance point will cause the rear tire to wobble, if you get good enough you can throw the bike beyond balance point and squeeze the tank with your knees and the bike will stop wobbling immediately!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode