954 wheelies - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Post 954 wheelies

Whats the best way to do wheelies on the 954? I am defentallly gonna be powering or bouncing it up and no clutches.. Do most people on these bigger bikes just balance point it like smaller bikes or do they just keep it up on power?

Suggest 2nd gear standups to start out on these bigger bikes or should i do some 1st gear sitdowns to get comfortable?

Im just lookin for a lil advice on a good way to relax and do some safe wheelin on this bigger bike... One step at a time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 08:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Sit downs first. Power them in first gear by rolling on the wick. Learn your bike or it will bite you in your bucket. Balance point is everything once you learn. You keep powering on and you will just end up chasing your wheelie and redlining. Got to get the balance point to be able to play with it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 04:12 AM

In 1st gear starting out, I would definitely start by powering it up.
The cherry spot in 1st is about 5 grand... at it will come right up. It will come up almost anywhere in 1st, but you want to come up early in the rpm so you can ride it out a little longer. If your just starting out don't worry about the BP yet. Just get comfortable riding it out a little first.

In 2nd it will power up as well.. I just lean back and hit it around 7grand (you might have to burp the throttle) and it jumps right up. Stand ups are sweet but be careful because it will come up fast in 2nd. I usually bring stand ups up around 4-5 grand in 2nd with a little bounce. If you let the rpms climb up a little it will come right up no bounce for you at anything over 5.

But I would advise sit downs until you are comfortable with the feeling of the bike coming up...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Thx for the advice.. I agree that these bikes bite a lil harder than what the o1 f4i that i rode before this... You really have to beat on those smaller bikes unlike this 1...

Ill just do some power wheelin in 1st on sit downs then do a lil bouncin in 2nd.. is it possible to be comfortable on powerin up a 1st gear standup and ride it out?

I just need to get use to the throttle control of these bigger bikes with practice!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docta_freeze
. is it possible to be comfortable on powerin up a 1st gear standup and ride it out?
Stand ups in 1st are pretty nuts. There is so much torque in 1st that it's hard to power up a standup and be in control. It comes up so fast that it's hard to bring to the BP in control. And if you don't hit the BP pretty quick you'll either have to shift or set it down. And setting it down quick with so much back pressure can result in almost flipping over the front of the bike. "Experience talking"

But yes it is possible, but I prefer 2nd.. much more stable in my opinion, and you have more room in the rpm's to ride it out. As long as you don't mind the speeds.

my
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Post bp

hit the bp in first gear tonight on a sit down.. very very interesting... went down to ft wayne indiana and rode with some of the locals down there tonight... pretty crazy when you round up about 100 sportbikes to go out stuntin and draggin... 400 miles on today.. what a beautiful day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode