need SERIOUSE HELP! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2004, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation need SERIOUSE HELP!

ok im 17, with a 2001 zx6r and i can do wheelies in first gear and keep them pretty long. but im tired of doing that same old shit. like on my bike its hard for me to shift gears while riding sit downs, and i was wondering if u guys have some good tips. and i wanan learn stand ups. can u give me some tips on the plzz. it help me out alot. im not afraid of eating it, just afraid ill get addicted and get my licence taken away. so plz gimme a hoot back
peace man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 03:53 AM

First off... slow down.
1. you should be afraid of "eating" it. It keeps you in check. Your 17.. you got tones of time. I wish I started at 17. Take er easy...

Stands ups, well there are a couple ways of learning them.
You can just stand up and roll on the throttle and give a little tug.. the problem with that is it comes up pretty fast in first. So if you are going to take that approach I would start them in second, until you develop a real feel for it. In second you might have to bounce it up.
The other way is to start in a sit down, and then just stand up. Make sure you are straight and everything is in control.. then just try and stand. There is a good chance the bike will just fall. That's ok.. just keep it simple until you get use to the feeling. Stand ups are a little harder because you are sorta falling back off the bike... so make sure you do not lock your throttle wrist or you could just keep turning the throttle.. and we all know that's not good.

my

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 02:42 PM

Listen man, I'm only 20, so I know how it feels to be invincible. Be very afraid of "eating it". I wasn't and it got me lots of rash and 3 broken bones. Not to mention that I can't play basketball without pain for the rest of my life. Probably the worst part was what it did to my bike. It tore my baby up just as bad as it did me. And it sucks making payments on a bike and paying to fix it at the same time. Keep the ride interesting, but know your limits.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 08:51 PM

Ok bro heres some real advice, that bike is not a very good bike to wheelie on cause the weight ratios, but you can still wheelie the thing. If you can't ride a 1st gear wheelie until you get tired of holding it up then your not ready to learn 2nd gear. First thing you want to do is learn the balance point, which will decrease your chances of "eating it". Going from a sit down to a stand up right now is crazy, when you stand up it throws your weight around and also makes the balance point higher. This is the only advice to anyone really trying to work on wheelies, use the clutch and a slight tug and work on getting the bike higher everytime, when you hit the balance point you will know it cause the bike will feel like its floating and you wont have to fight the bike to keep a wheelie up. Get in the habit of covering the rear brake cause thats how you control a wheelie at BP not the throttle. Good luck and wear gear!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crossupwheeli.jpg (30.4 KB, 166 views)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 09:18 AM

hey man like everyone else has said tkae your time and you need to be scared shitless of that bike. When I started out on stand ups it seemed easier for me to just stand up then bounce the bike up. And the other guy is right. 1st gear wheelies come up waaay too fsat. Try second gear. Good luck and be careful!!

K-lee
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 07:49 AM

I would keep practicing first. You can learn stand ups in second gear, bouncing on the suspension and hitting the gas would most likely do it. You should be scared of "eating it" TRUST ME. I am 18 and know what it feels like to go down and break multiple bones. You aren't scared until it really happens to you and your arm below your elbow is bent at a 90 degree angle, and your foot is backwards. This kind of thing sucks, so be careful and keep practicing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 02:14 PM

Be afraid, be very afraid! GixxStunna is right. Learn BP. 1st gear sitdown is the best place to learn it. It's a floaty feeling, almost like having a rug pulled out from under you.I dunno how to describe it, but when you hit it... you'll know! Cover your rear brake.. give it a tap when you hit bp so you don't loop. The 636 is an AWESOME bike for stunting. Very smooth. When you decide to learn standups, do them staggered. left foot on the rear passenger peg, and right foot covering the brake. It's much more comfortable and you won't be using so much of your arms. It makes it easier to control the throttle. 2nd gear, stand up, and slip the clutch. Up she comes, nice and smooth. You already know BP, and you'll be able to ride forever. Good luck and be safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode