Stand-up wheelies are bad as hell... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Stand-up wheelies are bad as hell...

I was watching one of those stunt videos the other day and was watching one of the riders do a stand-up wheelie down the vegas strip. In my opinion the stand-up wheelie is the most impressive trick you can do on a bike. I was just wondering how many people here can do a stand-up wheelie. Anyone of you guys that can do one I have some real respect for, also how long did it take you to learn? Did you have any serious crashes while trying a stand-up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:08 AM

i'm not the best at it, i have a buddy that will ride for miles on end... till the motor is crying for oil but when i first did it, i thought that stand ups were a lil easier than sittin down ...

what does everyone else think ???

i like stand ups myself though....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 01:10 PM

I agree, but I actually kinda did my first one by accident. I had pulled up a sit down a litle to high let off the throttle and started to drop it, sumhow I just felt it and came back on the throttle and got out of the seat and leaned back to keep it up. It was like my subcontiouse (sp?) did it for me. That incodent was what really got me into stunting, and started really liking the stand ups. I find there easier to control cuzz you use a little more of your body to balance and steer.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 09:41 AM

I just did my first stand-up the other day. I did it standing on the back pegs (i had to tape them open to make it easier). I've tried doin it from the front pegs but I chicken out too soon =(. After doing it the 1st time it seemed really easy. I agree, it's easier to control the bike with your body while standing.

I was doing them in 1st gear pulling it up at about 40 kph with a little bounce but no clutch. Only thing is that I coulnd't shift into 2nd....(with feet on back) so I was putting them down a little too hard. Do you guys do ur stand-ups in 1st/2nd gear? front/back pegs?

Yesterday I tried my first 1 hander (sitting)...was really nice 'til I over rotated and fell off the back! I guess I shifted my weight a little when I took my hand off. THis was my 1st time dumping the bike so I was suprised and had no idea what to do.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 10:12 AM

Depending on the bike... but with my 954 standups are much easier in 2nd. 1st is jerky but 2nd and 3rd come up more controlled as long as you don't mind the higher speeds.

My
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 02:39 PM

The gear depends on what you're doing. If you want to pick up wheelies on the highway and go for miles then 2nd maybe third depending on how fast you want to be going. If you want to do slow shit i.e. 12's, no handers, etc. then first gear. And as for how long it takes to learn stand ups is really subjective, it may take some people years, it may take some people a couple weeks. It's all in your self confidence and not worrying about dropping the bike or getting hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode