Wheelying and riding through the gears?!?!?! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Wheelying and riding through the gears?!?!?!

I just went for a ride through the neighborhood, and I happen to come across a couple kids who could not have been older than 17 or 18 years old. Anyway, one had a gsxr 1000 and the other a gixxer 750 (the blue one with all the nice graphics. All real nice bikes! Well, is it just a natural thing to be riding wheelies, standing on the foot pegs, and shifting through all the gears at the age of 18. I am going to be 29 next month and popping a 3 second/2 foot wheelie is easy. But riding (which I would like to learn) a wheelie like this 18 year old; it scares the crap out of me! I guess I am afraid of going over the balancing point. Is this just something out of natural instinct or just plane guts? After three years with this particular bike I own, shouldn't I not be afraid of wheelying? Or am I needing to accept the fact that I am just plane out getting to old? I think I am getting depressed now ...

Also, these kids must have lots of money or have rich parents who don't give a SH_T!!! if a cop comes knocking on their front door with bad news.. I started riding when I turned 21, and actually bought my first bike at 25 years old. My parents would never even thought of buying me a bike. Oh well, I guess that is just the way the ball rolls. Those kid were cool though. They actually live in the same neighborhood. I guess I found more riding buddies!

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 04:30 PM

Re: Wheelying and riding through the gears?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally posted by YZFr6-TX
I just went for a ride through the neighborhood, and I happen to come across a couple kids who could not have been older than 17 or 18 years old. Anyway, one had a gsxr 1000 and the other a gixxer 750 (the blue one with all the nice graphics. All real nice bikes! Well, is it just a natural thing to be riding wheelies, standing on the foot pegs, and shifting through all the gears at the age of 18. I am going to be 29 next month and popping a 3 second/2 foot wheelie is easy. But riding (which I would like to learn) a wheelie like this 18 year old; it scares the crap out of me! I guess I am afraid of going over the balancing point. Is this just something out of natural instinct or just plane guts? After three years with this particular bike I own, shouldn't I not be afraid of wheelying? Or am I needing to accept the fact that I am just plane out getting to old? I think I am getting depressed now ...

Also, these kids must have lots of money or have rich parents who don't give a SH_T!!! if a cop comes knocking on their front door with bad news.. I started riding when I turned 21, and actually bought my first bike at 25 years old. My parents would never even thought of buying me a bike. Oh well, I guess that is just the way the ball rolls. Those kid were cool though. They actually live in the same neighborhood. I guess I found more riding buddies!
Yeah dude, look at what you wrote: you ARE getting old. There's a saying in the military to describe grunts/new recruits (i.e. 18 yr. olds): "Young, dumb, and full of (word that rhymes with bum)."

I don't know about you, but when I was 18, I did some CRAZY shit.....stuff I wouldn't even dream of doing now. That's all it is. If you question their money, drive around any state university, like UT Austin, and see what some of those kids drive. They drive new Lexus and Mercedes SUV's, new BMW's......it's crazy. I had nice stuff growing up, but a new BMW? I mentioned it to my Dad and he reacted just the way I thought he would: he roared out loud with laughter and said "Yeah, when monkeys fly out of my ass, that's the day we go and buy YOU a new BMW!"

They are young and not dumb, just having fun. They don't understand danger right now and what can happen to them on either of those bikes. And if you are afraid to wheelie your bike, leave it that way. Yeah, you can rip that R6 up and ride out some nice wheelies (assuming you're not too big), but let them be stupid. It might not be too wise to hang around them as you will get into trouble with them. Or worse yet, you may have to go knock on their parents door one night and have to explain what happened to their boy.

Me personally? I'd ride with them occasionally, but it sounds like you want to ride with more responsible riders. Nothing wrong with that. It's not a sign of getting old, it's a sign of maturity.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:32 AM

do you want to ride or ride?

its really easy to explain, you sound like to type of rider that likes to ride, but not really riding, riding. i'll explain......i got my bike, and i would ride it to work, home, store, movies, ect. what i later realized was about the sametime i started riding, a buddy of mine did also, so while im at the store, movies, work, ect. he was out riding, riding.
to make a long story short, the more u ride, the more you know and get a feel for your bike, while i was doing the ects. he was getting better. now i am learning and it takes practice, but all i got is age. remember its a skill thing, (its not like u gotta peddle).
trust your bike, find your balance point, and enjoy!!!
hint~ go about 25-30mph in 1st, let off the gas, and open it up.
start with small grips, and work your way to bigger ones.
the slower you go the easier it is to find your b/p.
montiko~

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 06:21 PM

Hey I am 34 and ride wheelies like those snot nose punks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 11:52 AM

OLD!

I'm 28, and i can to! To old, never.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 04:15 AM

If you want to ride big easy wheelies just change your sprockets. Smaller in front, bigger in back and presto, so much torque at the rear wheel you can't keep the front down, especially on a 130 hp 400 lb 750 and 170hp 410 lb 1000cc.

Not that it doesn't take practice and skill but when you change sprockets on bikes like those it's soooo much easier.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 04:31 AM

Ahhhh, just wheelie the R6 I can wheelie mine for miles, get a foot on the back peg, get in second around 60mph and clutch her up.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 02:16 PM

WHEELE

steve is right, just practice, practice, practice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode