Standup wheelie harder?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Standup wheelie harder??

I'm kinda new to wheelies...still learning. I can bring it up rocking it in first gear sometimes. When i do bring it up i can hold it for about 50-100ft.

It just seems like i can bring it up so much easier standing. The only problem is when it comes up i get scared as shit and drop it right back down.

Is it harder to hold up a wheelie standing up is the question.

btw, this is a 02 f4i

thanks,
sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 06:38 PM

It depends on rider (weight, etc), size of balls, and bike. I personally don't recommend stand-ups both for a beginner and in first gear. First gear is where the most torque is and it's just too easy to loop it. If you want a nightmare story on why you don't want to loop it: a professional stunter in FL looped his bike (GSXR1000) so hard that when they went to see his wreck, all they saw in his helmet were skull and brains........not pretty and definitely sad.

Learn sit-downs first and then move to stand-ups. Standing should only be done in second on. Once you get good, then do stand-ups in first.

Besides, all of those stand-ups you're ending early are killing your forks and seals.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Whoaa. Forget the standups for now then. Dang.

I tried bringing it up in 2nd gear but it just wont come up. I take it to about 25-30mph in 2nd then rev it to like 8k and drop the clutch but nothing. Front wheel doesnt even feel close to coming off the ground.

thanks for the help

sam

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 03:42 AM

Man lay off of them you sound a bit too green for the tricks your trying.

Wheelies can go real bad real quick and they usually total bikes when they go bad. However, your going to slow in second to pull that thing, roll it up to about 9k rpms nice and steady, stand up, let off the throttle for a split second and then gas it and yank.

She will come up.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

So your telling me that my 600f4i will come up with no clutch in 2nd? Why does everyone else have to clutch 2nd then?

sam
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally posted by wheelie123
It depends on rider (weight, etc), size of balls, and bike. I personally don't recommend stand-ups both for a beginner and in first gear. First gear is where the most torque is and it's just too easy to loop it. If you want a nightmare story on why you don't want to loop it: a professional stunter in FL looped his bike (GSXR1000) so hard that when they went to see his wreck, all they saw in his helmet were skull and brains........not pretty and definitely sad.

Learn sit-downs first and then move to stand-ups. Standing should only be done in second on. Once you get good, then do stand-ups in first.

Besides, all of those stand-ups you're ending early are killing your forks and seals.
Who looped, Wheelie? What team was he on?

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 09:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Quote:
Originally posted by BoostedSi
So your telling me that my 600f4i will come up with no clutch in 2nd? Why does everyone else have to clutch 2nd then?

sam
I can bang that bitch up in 3rd...... Guaranteed. I can do my F4 in 3rd gear and the injection definitely helps out, so there is you answer. I am not going to sit here and do another explanation. It is all trial and error. If your determination is bigger than your conscious, then you will succed.

You may want to try to do a search on this topic.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Wow, i never knew a 600 could be brought up in 2nd or 3rd without the clutch. Everything i searched always said to clutch it after 1st.

thanks
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 12:45 PM

Anything is possible when u have large testicles. Learning takes time, practice, and unfornately sometimes wrecking.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 12:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Quote:
Originally posted by BoostedSi
Wow, i never knew a 600 could be brought up in 2nd or 3rd without the clutch. Everything i searched always said to clutch it after 1st.

thanks
Yeah, my friend has an F4i and I love to ride standies on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode