Stoppie landings - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Stoppie landings

I'm not a huge stunter but I do enjoy an occasional stunt or two =>

Lately I've been learning how to get pretty high on the stoppies but coming down one always hears the standard crunching sound. My question is how bad is this for the bike? I don't expect its equivelent to breaking fork seals from slamming wheelies down but I was wondering if this is ever an issue? Just about every video I've seen everyone is always landing stoppies pretty hard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 07:17 PM

Stoppies are worse than wheelies. Instead of blowing out fork seals, you blow out the shock seal and thrash the shock and all connecting parts. Theres really no way to land them softly. Just hang on and let em slam down. For best results keep your nuts off the tank on the way down, or you'll feel just how hard the bike can hit.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigger RR
Stoppies are worse than wheelies. Instead of blowing out fork seals, you blow out the shock seal and thrash the shock and all connecting parts. Theres really no way to land them softly. Just hang on and let em slam down. For best results keep your nuts off the tank on the way down, or you'll feel just how hard the bike can hit.
B.S. If you stop completly...then yes there is no way to land them softly...but if you roll them out, then ease up on the brake and it will come down nicely....but of course you have to to learn rolling stoppies to do this.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

lol, I hear ya on the nuts thing dude. The first real big one I pulled I had to pull over and sit down for a minute with my buddy laughing at me. I sure learned my lesson, much better since
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by the wizz
B.S. If you stop completly...then yes there is no way to land them softly...but if you roll them out, then ease up on the brake and it will come down nicely....but of course you have to to learn rolling stoppies to do this.
B.S. huh ? rolling or not 300 plus pounds of bike on about 6 to 8 inches of suspention travel doesn't come down easy. Unless your rolling some 3 inch high weiner stoppies. I do believe Wally said "Lately I've been learning how to get pretty high on the stoppies" and a high stoppie rolling or not almost never lands easy. Yes rolling stoppies do land smoother than stopped ones but one way or another all the weight on that bike and rider has to come down. An object in motion wants to stay in motion untill acted apon by an outside force, GRAVITY!!!!! If your bike weighs 375 lbs. then it's going to come down with 375 lbs. of force every time. No way around it, so you might wanna think about the laws of physics before you call B.S. on someone. Least thats what riding bikes for over seven years has taught me that you can't argue or change what Mr. Newton deemed to be law.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 04:31 AM

Quote:
B.S. huh ? rolling or not 300 plus pounds of bike on about 6 to 8 inches of suspention travel doesn't come down easy. Unless your rolling some 3 inch high weiner stoppies. I do believe Wally said "Lately I've been learning how to get pretty high on the stoppies" and a high stoppie rolling or not almost never lands easy. Yes rolling stoppies do land smoother than stopped ones but one way or another all the weight on that bike and rider has to come down. An object in motion wants to stay in motion untill acted apon by an outside force, GRAVITY!!!!! If your bike weighs 375 lbs. then it's going to come down with 375 lbs. of force every time. No way around it, so you might wanna think about the laws of physics before you call B.S. on someone. Least thats what riding bikes for over seven years has taught me that you can't argue or change what Mr. Newton deemed to be law.
what you said is true to a point...but in fact when you learn precise brake control you can set them down with ease....and you said "weiner stoppies" hahahah!!!!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 03:30 PM

Tap the rear brake and u wont hear the crunching sound, and u will save wear and tear on the chain and sprockets
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Lifetime Premium

I smoked the dtock rear shock on the R1 from stoppies... but it sucked anyway

wizz - Brother... you come off really pompus... almost as bad as me. Try a little diplomacy man.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 11:27 AM

now if i am interpreting this correctly, there are "stoppies" and "rolling stoppies". now, to me, this doesn't make sense.

a "stoppie" seems pretty self explanatory. as you stop, the ass end comes up, drops down, hits the road and then your stopped. stop=not moving. now a "rolling stoppie" really can't be considered a "stoppie" at all according to the way it was described. it would technically be considered a "slowing downie" because it doesn't actually involve you being stopped.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 11:56 AM

Quote:
If your bike weighs 375 lbs. then it's going to come down with 375 lbs. of force every time. No way around it, so you might wanna think about the laws of physics before you call B.S. on someone.
not meaning to start an arguement here but this statement is actually wrong too for several reasons.
#1=you will not have the full 375 pounds hitting the ground.
#2=your object would be considered a "body in motion" so you'd need to figure in gravity and the speed of the object on impact
#3=calculate in the surface are of the object sustaining the most impact

the force of a body in motion is much greater than the actual weight of the object. the actual weight is considered the gravitaional force on the object but the actual amount of force the bike has when it comes down is based on the weight of the actual body, the height of the drop, and the surface area which is sustaing the most impact.

the resultant force acting on any body equals the PRODUCT of its mass and acceleration. F=ma 375 pounds dropping from say, 4 feet, will be going at a certain speed. i do not know what it is but lets just say for arguements sake, its 5mph. 375 x 5=?

sorry to get technical and piss on your flame but physics isn't as "simple" as you think.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode