Wheelies?????? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Angry Wheelies??????

I can not pull her up...I tried in first by cracking the throttle, she came up a little but I could not keep her balanced... How can I find the balance point? Or just ride one out for a block or two? What gear should I be in for the best wheelie...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 08:52 PM

How can I find the balance point? Or just ride one out for a block or two? What gear should I be in for the best wheelie...

i'll tell you where to be, or not to be. Don't wheelie in the city, that's irresponsible....don't endo in front of the cop shop, that's irresponsible....ha ha ha ha
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 10:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Re: Wheelies??????

Quote:
Originally posted by 03YAMR6
I can not pull her up...I tried in first by cracking the throttle, she came up a little but I could not keep her balanced... How can I find the balance point? Or just ride one out for a block or two? What gear should I be in for the best wheelie...
This topic has been covered for 600cc bikes many, many times. Please do a search in this forum or the How Do I forum and you will find your answers. The main thing is practice, practice, practice and make sure it's in a safe place!

Good luck and take care.
Chris

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Re: Re: Wheelies??????

Quote:
Originally posted by chris_y2k_r1
...and make sure it's in a safe place!

J/K

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 04:26 PM

The best advice I can give you is the best advice giving to me.

Try it in First Gear. Start at 2K and whack the throttle. If it doesn't work, try at 3k and move on up till your front wheel moves on up. If it feels like its getting away from ya, let off the throttle and cover the rear brake. You'll also inevitably lean forward the first few times you try this, it's a natural response and you'll learn how to do away with it thru practice. As for the balance point, that's another thing you'll learn from practice.

Hope that helps.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, I posted this b4 I looked anywhere, I see the same topics. I am the retart for not looking around. WEll It is snowing by me so I can even take her out to try. I would have given to the person who put this topic out there...Peace out guys...HAHA
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 09:43 AM

first you need to learn how to bring the wheel up in second second gear wheelie's are way easier to keep up than first. second you will not learn the balance pt for a LONG TIME you will think you got close when your ass gets so tight the seat disapears up it. at that point if you roll on the gas and go back about another 25 degrees you will be close to balance pt. the best advice you can get is to find someone that can second gear wheelie have them teach you to bring it up in second (usu clutch) then start standing them up (will give you better feeling of how high your bike is) then keep brining tire higher untill rpm's stop rising then regulate wheelie with slight throd control. good luck took me about 3 years to keep wheelies up as long as i want (never set em down)
p.s. once u catch the wheelie fever you will never be satisfied
first it will be if i could just ride a couple blocks then if i could just bring it up in second then if i could just stand em up then if i could just ride em for a mile then if i could just ride a tanker etc... U WILL NEVER BE SATISFIED
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 05:19 AM

clutch 2nd and pull up a lil bit... it'll come right up quick so have your right foot ON the rear brake but not pressing down (takes practice) stay on the throttle, its gonna come up and your gonna freak and wanna roll off it. dont. thats why your foot is on the brake cuz if u just tap the brake it'll come back down. Good luck.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-05-2003, 07:34 PM

Wheelie in second gear?????HELP

I have a 1995 Yamaha 600R. How fast should I be going when I try for a wheelie in second gear? Also i am lookin for any suggestions on gearing? I want to install different sprockets but i dont know which ones will work best? Rite now I am using the stock sprockets 15 teeth in the front and 47 in the rear.

Thank you to anybody who can help!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 04:44 PM

I had a hell of time getting my YZF600R up in second. But it can be done I would usually clutch the shit out of it and pulll back a little bit. I am a rather big guy at 6'2" 200lbs. I had to clutch mine up in 1st too or get the RPM around 11,000 snap throttle shut and whack it hard to get it up. You must be careful doing clutch wheelies as it can get away from you if it comes up too soon. I would clutch mine up at about 6000 RPM to get it up and work the throttle to get to the balance point. I would use my brake at the balance point to help keep me there light tapping of rear brake. Hitting to hard and kiss the family jewels a good bye.

I am now riding a R1 and wheelies are all about being easy on that bike. I can bring it up slowly to the and let her ride.

Good Luck and BE SAFE and SMART.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode