Stoppies - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Stoppies

Was thinkin of workin on stoppies along with my wheelies when the season started again, any helpful hints or knowledge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 PM

Be prepard for the front tire to lock up the first few times. I've just started doing them and I lock up the front wheel from time to time. Good luck.
Pete
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me how they are doin stoppies ?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 10:20 PM

Thumbs up Stoppies

Stoppies are pretty easy to master. I have been riding since June and I have learned to do these before wheelies. The trick is to get the right pressure on the brakes. if you squeeze them to hard and to fast, the tire will lock up. Just try squeezing the front brake a little bit harder than usual at like 35 mph. Then shift your body weight forward a little and mess around with the brake pressure a little. Once you get the timing and the feel for it after a couple of tries, the ass end will sure enough come up. Make sure that you are doing them on a warm surface and on warm tires. GOOD LUCK
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 01:05 PM

And be sure your steering head bearing is in good working condition and not a little loose.

IMO, rolling stoppies are easier and safer than stopping stoppies. You have a lot more save yourself time during a rolling stoppie. Just takes more testicular fortitude.

I've nearly flipped during a stopping stoppie. I've dropped my bike thanks to a stopping stoppie. I've seen other people nearly flip during a stopping stoppie. I've seen people's tires slide locked during a stoppie because they did it over the paint at a stop light.

But try rolling stoppies. They're much safer and controlable.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 11:35 PM

steady hand stoppies

as with all things: practice makes perfect. i agree with the above that rolling stoppies are much easier and they are (IMO) much easier on the bikes. stopping stoppies come down hard and kill the rear of the bike. plus rolling stoppies look cooler to me. why do you think the xsba has a rolling stoppie contest?

to master a stoppie: start at about 10 mph and grab the front brake. not too hard, but just enough pressure to bring up the back. no, your first few times will suck, so prepare to be disappointed. once you can get her to come up pretty vertical, then begin your stoppie at 20 mph. it not only looks cooler, but they get a lot more attention that way.

my favorite is to begin the stoppie at about 50-60 mph and start to grab the front brake. i get it to come up in back and find the balance point and just ride it on out and then gradually let her back down. i love stoppies almost as much as wheelies, but then i'd have to change my user name. eventually you'll learn to point and/or give the finger during stoppies.

if this is something that you think you'll do a lot, i recommend stainless front lines as they won't bleed and a bleeding line can SUCK for a stoppie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode