`Extreme' cyclist loses his license for 18 months - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

`Extreme' cyclist loses his license for 18 months

A stunt-performance captured in a front page news story will cost ``extreme'' motorcyclist Shawn Cripple some cash and his license to drive.
Cripple, 28, was fined $1,000 and lost his motorcycle endorsement and driver's license for 18 months. He was convicted of three counts each of reckless operation, failure to maintain reasonable control and improper riding and one count of failure to display a license plate.
http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjourna...al/4713894.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 05:08 AM
Strength and Honor

Wow, ok, I've got two conflicting takes.

One, he deserved to be sent up for doing such stupid things on the public streets. Period. Not sure how he can claim he does it only on private streets when this story suggests that it was on a public highway.

Two, this case simply says you cannot trust any journalist to keep your identity secret and be prevented from taking the stand against you.

The latter one really bothers me. What's next, lawyers and doctors? Does the loss of protections guaranteed by the US Constitution bother anyone else? I dare suggest things are just going to get worse in the US with a single-party gov't.

Hello police state

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 07:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
Not sure how he can claim he does it only on private streets when this story suggests that it was on a public highway.
Qoute from the article "Since the story was published, Cripple has said he has relegated his extreme riding to private property at a Mahoning County airport. "

Extreme riding is very popular and will just keep getting bigger and bigger.

http://www.bikerplanet.net

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 10:02 AM
Strength and Honor

Yeah, you're right, the article does state that, but it also says,
"The photographer subsequently shot Cripple lying backward on his motorcycle, arms and legs extended, while his bike traveled along a crowded state Route 8."

And I personally have nothing against stunts publicly; in fact, they're really excellent to view (from afar). I'm too much of a puss to try things like that on a public street, so I consider you stunt-types in the same category as X-Gamers and other similar groups; bigger brass ones than I've got!

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 10:28 AM

I can see reckless operation-although my ding-bat mother should have received the same for backing her SUV into a McDonald's
but if he did not bobble or run into other lanes, I'd say he was in total control, also if I grip the handle bars different then the state views "riding position" am I to be pulled over?
What about cagers-Including cops that may not 'sit' right in they'er seats?

It all is the same, some people just cannot handle others having a good time. Their lives must be miserable.

its the same for people out here, around the Islands (San Juan) personal watercraft are not allowed in some areas and its got nothin to do with environment, Just Old people that sit on their porches and stew.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Founder

Garage
I have to agree with kanwisch.

The stunts are cool as shit, and I am very impressed by the skill of those doing the stunts. But the guy in the story got what he deserved for doing them on a crowded highway, story or no story.

I understand not all stunters have an "airport" where they can do their stunts, But do them on a back road somewhere and not on a crowded freeway.

How would one of the stunters who do these stunts on the freeways feel if their spouse crashed their car and died because a stunter cut them off on the highway?

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 10:33 AM
Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by wedge
I'd say he was in total control, also if I grip the handle bars different then the state views "riding position" am I to be pulled over?
"The photographer subsequently shot Cripple lying backward on his motorcycle, arms and legs extended, while his bike traveled along a crowded state Route 8."

You call that total control? And this has nothing to do with "gripping the handlebars" differently. Hell, has was not even gripping the bars.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 10:38 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Thumbs down

I hope to be half as skilled as some of those guys one day, but as everyone else has said, doing it on the street is just stupid. Sounds like he got the attention he was after though.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 10:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Here in the 'Burgh, I only have HighWays to stunt on. I agree with everyone's opinion. I am 50/50. I do not go 20 feet behind a car and stand it up. That is just plain stupid.

Stunting will be involved with the X-Games soon.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 01:55 PM

Yeah... sounds like the position he was in is about the equivilent of a cage driver sitting in the back seat looking out the window. Not cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode