bout killed myself - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

bout killed myself

OK so I've had my F3 for about 2 weeks, put like 500 miles on it already, and decided to try wheelies for the first time yesterday. I pulled two in first gear without any problems. First one with throttle, second with a little clutch. Everything was ok....... I keep trying to get it to wheelie in first and can't, so I get a little impacient. So after a few failed attempts I full throttle it, pull in the clutch, and let it go again. HOLY SHIT. The bike came up to 12 o'clock, and I though I was going over backwards. I instinctively put out my feet (like that would balance out 500 lbs worth of bike) and let off the throttle. The bike came back down fine, and no one got hurt thank god. So this experience has taught me a few things.

1. I'm a squid officially
2. I need a bit more seasoning before I learn to ride wheelies
3. I'm going to master throttling the bike up before I use clutch again(if I ever use it again).
4. I need some leather pants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 12:28 PM

leather pants are easier to clean when you shit yourself

if your crazy enough, or just squidy enough to try stunting after just a few weeks then don't complain when you almost kill yourself, instead thank god you didn't
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Definately not complaining....... I feel real lucky.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 03:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

You should never need to use the clutch to bring the front of that bike up in 1st. You can do it clutchless in 2nd as well. Just take your time, learn slow (baby steps), and you'll get there in one piece. Just remember Rome wasn't built in a day.

Be careful and practice in a safe place!

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 05:09 PM

WOW...You're nuts trying wheelies already.

But now that you're starting, leave that clutch alone in 1st.

Hope you keep it rubber side down.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 03:35 AM

You have learned an important wheelie lesson.

CLUTCH BAD.... THROTTLE GOOD.... REAR BRAKE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 09:30 PM

I clutch mine up in first around 5 mph.....but of course I'd been doing whoolies for along time before I started clutching them. Whoolie progression tip's
1) first gear power whoolies
2) second gear clutched up sitdowns, or bounced up stand ups
3) first gear bounced up stands up...around 5-10mph
4) first gear cluthed up sitdowns or tankies

this is how I started doing all my stunning...I learned the fast stuff and then moved on to the SLOW stuff!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2002, 10:19 PM

I have done about 5 wheelies since i began riding back this April.. all were 1st gear. And all were in the first week I began riding.

Why you ask? Cause I was with friends who were doin them and I wanted to do them too of course.

Now I can't muster up the courage to do them anymore. Never was scared shitless when I did them that 1st week, they were all nice high wheelies too. But I said to myself that week and ever since, I need to ride more to get comfortable before I try these again. But since I just stopped cold turkey like that, now i can't do them at all. I know how to do them, it's no problem for me to do them, but I just can't get myself to do it. Fear of messing up my ride is foremost in my mind. Now that I am completely comfortable with my bike, how should I ease myself back into trying them again?

I normally ride alone nowadays too, so it's just me.. no gotta impress the friends factor helping my balls out heh..

Any ideas?

P.S. Oh andso this doesn't happen to you F3 guy, don't stop doing them cold turkey, it'll be much harder for you to do them once you are really ready. BUT don't do them on any streets, find a nice long empty parking lot to practice in, unless you really arent ready at all.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 12:38 PM

I have to second what Wizz said, that's EXACTLY how I'm progressing. Slower is definitely harder, just this week I started bouncing stand up's and clutching sit-downs in first gear and trying to ride them out. Took me all summer to be able to ride a good bounced stand up in second. Weird, thought I was the only one that learned like that. lol Shooting for a highchair by the end of next season. Wish I had more time to play this year but it's 46 degrees here right now so I have a feeling riding is pretty much done for this year.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 01:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Witcha on that doogie. I clutch first gear sit down wheelies and bounce second and third gear stand-ups.

Finally got it down and end of summer is here.

Oh well, whenever the sun comes out, I will be there.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode