Clutch it or whack it! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Exclamation Clutch it or whack it!

Ok, dunno if anyone has wheelied a VFR, but I wanna. Just don't wanna flip the mutha over on its first time up. I wanna bring up the front wheel slowly instead of abbruptly. What would be the best way:

1. Pop the clutch and grab some throttle.

2. Knock her down a gear and whack the throttle.

Thanks in advance!

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 05:40 AM

Jester,
I always tell my customers to simply drain the oil and run it that way. This will destroy the engine even faster than doing clutch dump wheelies.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 07:14 AM
Lifetime Premium

First off, there's a difference between dumping the clutch and fanning it. Dumping it as insinuated by the terminology is really rough on the bottom end of a motor where as fanning is a little more forgiving and IMHO wears the clutch more than anything else. You need to change your oil often if you use the clutch method though, as all of the worn clutch particles are getting pumped through your motor.

To answer the question, in the best interest of engine wear and personal safety, it's best to power it up in low gear. Motorcycles are designed for high RPM (Not to be confused with redline) but are not designed for clutch abuse.

The best gear for initially lifting the front wheel for just about any mid-sized and larger motorcycle is 2nd. Though you may need to start in first to get the hang of it. You best chance for success is to whack the throttle open at the beginning of the meat of torque. Basically you are looking for the part of the rev range that has the most gain in torque over the shortest stretch of RPM. You should be able to find a dyno chart on the internet and see where that happens. In your case it's probably fairly low in the RPMS. For the R1, it's right around 4,000 RPMS.

Be careful Jester, and make sure you practice in an isolated area.

Good luck and let us know of your progress.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com

Last edited by chris_y2k_r1; 09-06-2002 at 11:29 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 12:51 PM

Dave and Chris,
I love watching you guys go back and forth on this issue, it never seems to get personal but is always entertaining. I'm not choosing a favorite until the later rounds.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 01:00 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally posted by Rated R III
Dave and Chris,
I love watching you guys go back and forth on this issue, it never seems to get personal but is always entertaining. I'm not choosing a favorite until the later rounds.
LMAO!!

Oh pick me, pick me!!

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 04:19 AM

Rated RIII,

I don't follow what you're saying. I agree 100% with what Chris is saying. He obviously knows what he's talking about. I was making a blanket statement, namely that doing wheelies is very hard on any bike, some much more that others. And there's also, like Chris says, a big difference in the way its done.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 04:34 AM

Lightbulb Duh

A Honda VFR should have enough ass to lift its self up. Use the throttle to chop and bounce the forks. A slight fan on the clutch may be needed from time to time. But the more you use the throttle the better.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 10:14 PM

Cool

I love to do wheelies. I only wish I could even come close to the starboyz. How do they get those bikes to come up so easily at hiway speeds. My FZ1 comes right up throttle only in first gear but forget it in second.
Eddie
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 01:30 AM

i agree with Chris and Dave on engine stress doing them , i use a "fan" as you called it, i call it slipping. it works good in 1st or 2nd. in higher gears like 3rd and 4th i just bounce (i dont do 4th much or really 3rd much either as most of the stuff is off the roads now) 1st is good learning gear but can be really twitchy and responsive, if you do it in 1st be carefull as a slight throttle roll may land you on your head. 2nd is a lot more forgiving as you can apply more throttle on takeoff than on a 1st gear one...as far as starboyz goes ots easy to get the front up at highway speeds it just takes practice. i used to do em on the highways awhile back untill this new law and the plain stupidity of it came about in my head...lol...anyways at 75 in 3rd a lil bounce and up it went. the same for 4th at 95 a lil bounce and i was rollin.....either way you choose to try be sure to suit up and do this in a practice area with no cars, roadrash sucks much less falling and being run over by a car.......peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode