Standup Wheelies - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Standup Wheelies

Ok Ive gotten to be pretty decent at sit down wheelies and can shift while up on 1 wheel. Ive recently been toying with standups and can only pull it up in 1st gear but cant seem to shift.Ide like to learn how to bounce it up like I see others do in 2nd or 3rd gear.Can someone please talk me through the proceedure so I can work on it. Any help or advice ( without being flamed ) would be greatly appreciated.And yes I always wear full leathers and I dont do wheelies in town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 07:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Your bike will easily bring the front up in 2nd with a nice bounce. Just stand up first then take the RPMs up to the meat of the torque and chop the throttle, compress the front forks with your arms and your weight on them. Then yank back and go to wide open throttle simultaneously.

Good luck and be careful!

ChR1s

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Chris,I will give that a try

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 12:36 PM

Yes, I got a little fustrated when trying to learn them myslef...I personally would never do a stand-up in 1st gear....The power is to unpredictable, and the front end comes up way to quick...Plus if you dont know how to shift, then you will run out of rpms/ running room way to fast.....

I learned to do stand-ups in 2nd gear, then progrssed to third....So start out in 2nd, one of the most importnat things i learned if your going to slow, its harder to lift the front...So have your rpm's UP !! Right before you feel the bike start to pull or hit its powerband....Compress the front fork...

Then is when timing comes into play.....As soon as you push down on the bars, on the way back up or just right before, start pinning the throttle...& pull the bars back towards your chest....

Once you achieve your balance point, you will find there are easier then sit downs........So the like i said, the most important thing i have found, is to keep your R's up...Aslo when you push down on the bars, really Push hard!! & then pull them just as hard back to your chest, while wacking the gas make sure you twist that throttle good...

Once you get the timing of all these things, they will be easier and you wont have to work as hard getting it up..But for now over exaggerate, until you get the rythem...

Have fun and be careful......
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 04:23 PM

No wayyyyyyyyyyyyy

I thought this was going to be the end of my pretty little bike......(actually I said the same thing about doing this too)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Ruff-rida,thanks man. That sounds simple enough but I'm sure I'll have to work at it. You are right,the front comes up way too fast standing in 1st gear; so I will quit trying them is 1st and move on to 2nd. Its so damn frustrating; I cant seem to get the timing just right.I guess its like everything else to do with riding- practice,practice,practice. I havent had the time to work on it the past week but as soon as possible I will find a safe spot and give it a go. When I finally get it I will let ya know. Thanks again.

Bruce
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 04:21 AM

Stand ups are defnitely easier than sit downs once you figure them out. It took me forever to learn how t o do them and was sooo frustrating I almost gave up. It's pretty much all a timing thing. What I do is stand up and lean forward over the tank, accelerate hard then while still on the gas bounce and throw my weight back and give the bars a little tug, no heman shit, just a little tug. lol Bounce right when you feel the bike start pulling hard. I'm usually at 2/3 or so throttle and then modulate to bring it up to the balance point. Word of caution. MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO COPS AROUND!!!! I passed a cop doing a stand up yesterday and it wasn't pretty. 70 in 35 and reckless operation. Street normally is deserted but it wasn't yesterday. Anyone know a good lawyer? Maybe I should call the motorcycle lawyer like I see on TV all the time. LoL.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 01:22 PM

Exclamation 01 ZX6R sit down wheelies

So I've been trying sitdown wheelies for a while.. I can pick up the front pretty easily if I rev up to 10K, and pretty much dump the clutch. It pops up and then goes straight down, I can't seem to hold it

I tried to do a stand up by depressing the front shock, then chopping the throttle and I don't even get a half an inch.. Could my shock be too tight?? I'm 5'11" 180 lbs. Should i put all my weight on the front shock, or just a little? I want to be super careful so I don't have to fix my bike from damage induced from concrete..

Any suggestions??
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 01:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Just keep practicing and taking the advice of this and many other threads. You bike, reguardless of suspension settings will wheelie with you on it. you need to put your weight towards the rear and use it to your advantage.

Just keep practicing the sit downs in first gear until you get the power wheelie down. Then you can move on from there. It just takes time, rome wasn't built in a day.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 05:08 PM

doogie, i feel for you, man. yeah, definitely go with a lawyer. a buddy of mine went through something like this in atlanta: he was going 100 coming into atlanta from the perimeter and saw a sheriff so he punched it. what he didn't realize was that the sheriff radioed ahead and a state patrol was entering the freeway with laser. clocked him at 140. threw his ass in jail, cited him with speeding, no motorcycle license(permit), drving after dark, driving on a freeway(both of the above citations are justified if operator only has a permit), eluding an officer, and wreckless. needless to say, he wasn't happy when i talked to him.

outcome: got a really good lawyer, all but wreckless were thrown out, he spent no time in jail, fine was like $500, and he's on probation for four months. pretty sweet. without a lawyer, he'd still be in the pokey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode