To Stunt or Not........ - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: How Wild Do You Ride.
I Strictly keep it safe, No Stunts, No Dragging Knees 36 15.72%
I ride aggressive, but no showboating 125 54.59%
I try and keep her on one wheel as much as I can 48 20.96%
I am Evil Kenevil 12 5.24%
I was Evil Kenevil until I...ooops 8 3.49%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

To Stunt or Not........

Personally I got my MC to just ride, as in not dragging knees, and not doing stunts. Hell yeah I like to go fast (which as a newbie is slow slow slow)in turns, and feel some adrenaline rush through my body, but mostly I am just out to enjoy the sport, and the friendship ties that come with it.

Also I have vowed to not try any stunts at all, becasue in my opinion the rewards do not outweigh the risks. Thats why guys make those cool videos for us chickens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:06 PM

Ride a m/c sensibly & you will stay upright longer.

Also less costs due to damages to it or self, less wear & abusive tear on the bike. Also less likely to end up in the hospital, injured or close to death OR death itself.
Good chance you will then be one that has ridden for past 20 yrs or more & still love riding & the m/c world itself.
Often I am gurggling down a twisty two lane hwy with max 90 to 100 KPH speed limit doing just 107 to 120KPH plus, which is around the pace of the traffic or a hair faster. Not surprised if several chaps on HD/Cruisers bikes or upright riding position will pass me ---- that seems to be the way when they see another m/cst & especially a sportbike simply taking it easy.
YES my tyres have chicken stripes on them. Yet have a good hunch I have ridden more yrs them most of you with next to nil in accidents or injuries bar 42 yrs of tough hard comp riding for that is a different story in the life of a m/cst
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:13 PM

I'm not an exibitionist by any means.. in fact, the only time I ever to a wheelie (or even the rarely occasional stoppie) is when absolutely no one is watching.. However, I've just got into riding familiar backroads pretty hard, and I love those power wheelies.

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:26 PM
Founder

Garage
I don't see anything wrong with doing "stunts" as long as they are done in the correct time and place with the correct gear on.

(No I'm not a "Stunter")

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:28 PM

Red face No stunts for me...

I swear that when I pull a wheelie (which is very rare and only when I am feeling adventurous), I hear the sound of a toilet flushing and envision money swirling down the pipes once the front suspension makes that horrid scratching noise. I guess some people don't even think twice (or care) about the long term effects of stunts. Ever hear those horror stories where "my cousin was pulling a wheelie in a parking lot, gave the bike too much juice, fell off, and has been frozen in a wheel chair ever since"? Or, "he's been riding for years and he had pulled that stunt off dozens of times before, but we don't know what happend this time." I guess maybe I have too much respect
(fear?) for the power my (or anyone else's, from a 250 to a 1300cc) bike produces. I mean, more power to those who have the iron-clad cajones to do stunts, but for my own health, my wallet, and the body work of my bike, count me out!!!!
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 02:38 PM

Serious stunts is out of question, but I do enjoy hoisting the front wheel from time to time
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 03:07 PM

judging by my user name, you can guess what i like to do. i love stunting, but ONLY in safe situations. what i mean by that is only in low traffic areas and with little to no grease/grime on the road. i say this because when i first mastered stoppies, i tried doing it at a major intersection........bad choice. i forgot that cars and trucks sit there all day long leaking oil. you can guess that when i was in mid-stoppie, the front end lost it and it sounded like my bike was crushed when it came down. besides the sheer terror of it all, i was riding with about 10 of my buddies and when we stopped, i had to hear about that crap for the next half hour!

the only time i will pull wheelies on a roadway is if there is very little traffic around and i'm either with buddies or a girl or kids in a car next to me. kids LOVE wheelies.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 04:41 PM

Whew, this is going to be a controversial thread. Am I a "stunter" no but i do enjoy doing them from time to time. Only in safe situationswhere I'm only going to **** myself up if I wreeck though. As for the pussy strips I have none I bought my bike to ride it, if I wanted to cruise i'd have bought a cruiser. About the only time I do wheelies is on really familiar roads or when I get bored riding on the highway. Hey you have to do something on the highway to make it entertaining. Never do burnouts, tires are too expensive. About the only time I do stoppies is into red lights when I know there's hot chicks in the car in the next lane. lol If you don't want to stunt that's cool too, but don't preach at someone else about it, unless they were blatantly endangering someone. They don't bitch at you for the way you ride, you don't like it stay away from them. Everyone is entitled to ride their bike however they want. The only justification I can find for bitching at stunters is that they cause our insurance rates to go up. But about 90% of that community have such horrible driving records they can't afford full coverage so they run liability only. Just a thought. Let the flaming begin.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 06:22 PM

Sorry, no stunts, no brakies, and hardly any wheelies. I just like to ride at a fairly agressive (ie slow to some these days) pace on empty country roads. I do like to ride with friends around to keep it interesting. I don't believe that sportbikes were designed for stunts. Get a X'er and do stunts in the dirt, not on the road.

There....that should raise some opinions!!!
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 07:57 PM
UFO

No stunts, no playin' for the crowd, no "look at me!" behavior here. Just like to ride fast and aggressive, as far away from town as possible. Prefer to ride alone or with 1-2 other people. Any more than that and it ceases being riding and becomes a social gathering. Only time I ride in town is to get OUT of town. IMO, it's a crime to see high powered sportbikes meant for the open highway trolling around town for looks. But that's just me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode