chrome wheel questions... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to redlined420
chrome wheel questions...

i was thinking about having my wheels chromed within the next month or so, and i was wondering if anyone would know any places that do quality work. ive heard a few horror stories about getting rims back that were damaged (befor chroming) when the wheels sent out werent damaged; or the chrome flaking off, etc. any feedback would be gr8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Also if anyone has any tips or tricks for polishing the frame, that would be greatly appreciated also
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:43 PM

Chrome sucks...powder coat'em flat black!!! lol Have heard those same stories about getting crap back in return...be careful.

"Are you a Leader?" Look behind you. If no one is there, you are only taking a walk!!!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
what kinda bike do you have? and you do know chrome weighs ALOT compared to stock. and ebay might be your best bet. some stuff on ebay is not all that bad.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

im on a 2003 636 kawasaki. i didnt know it would be that much difference in weight (which is definately a bad thing for me). just to be safe im thinkin ill probably just get em powder coated......in somethin other than flat black
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined420 View Post
im on a 2003 636 kawasaki. i didnt know it would be that much difference in weight (which is definately a bad thing for me). just to be safe im thinkin ill probably just get em powder coated......in somethin other than flat black
if you have the time and know-how, you can kinda do it yourself. using paint stripper, you can make the wheel lips have the machine look/polished, or you can do the entire wheel like that. some of the 600rr and 1000rr guys do that. no extra weight of chroming, but still gives it the shiney look. im not sure how your kawi wheels are. might want to check on a kawi forum before trying to remove the oem paint.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 04:59 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I've heard that having wheels (or other parts) chromed can actually weaken them. Not sure how much truth there is in that, but maybe somebody else can chime in on whether or not that's true?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the info, ill do some diggin around n see what i can come up with. whatever i end up doin ill post some pics
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 05:32 PM

I always tell my customers that there's two ways to completely ruin a perfectly good motorcycle. You can chrome it or you can push it over a cliff. The cliff method is actually the best way to go. It's cheaper and much quicker too.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

lol i think im gonna try the polishing thing. i found a few how-to's on a kawi forum, and it seems pretty simple. i bought all the stuff to do it today; and it only came to like $35. And since at the moment im typing this were in a snowstorm from hell so i got nothin but time to work on em. according to the how-to it takes about 3-4hrs a rim, with the rim still on the bike, but im takin mine off cause.....well....thats why i paid for spools and stands! lol plus the cold just wouldnt do it any good so ill bring em inside (bachelor benifits lol). worst case scenario if i dont like it ill just get em powder coated a different color. ill definately post some pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode