Nitrous Swingarm tank... not integral - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to TopSecret
Nitrous Swingarm tank... not integral

Okay so I have heard of people making their swing arm into an air tank. I would like to make mine into a Nitrous Tank. This would serve two purposes first stealth; there would be no external tank… Second the volume of the swing arm (’06 GSXR 1K) would be about 7.5 lbs I think… that is a lot of N2O to have on a bike.

The problem is the shape of the swing-arm… to account for this I was thinking that I would use two valves and, two siphon tubes, one on each side of the swing arm with a 6AN “T” fitting connecting the valves… then one line feeding N2O to the bike…
Is it possible to use a flexible siphon tube? If it is could it be the solution I have been looking for a T fitting inside the swing arm.

Any thoughts?

Slappy...

Last edited by TopSecret; 09-17-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 12:30 PM

Hope your not riding that biatch on the road... Never heard of that setup before, but what you have in mind sounds like it would work. good luck
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
I've heard of it for CO2 storage but not for Nitrous???? .... only advice I'd have is I wouldn't do it... I like mine where it is .... in the NOS BOTTLE

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamRyder
I've heard of it for CO2 storage but not for Nitrous???? .... only advice I'd have is I wouldn't do it... I like mine where it is .... in the NOS BOTTLE

E.

Do you have photos of your setup? Why wouldn't you use the swing arm but why?
Drawbacks I see are the liquid N2O will shift when hitting the twisties…
This is not an issue for me, just empty the tank first before getting to the mountain.
Second issue weight... Power to weight is worth it...
However, the suspension might work differently since this is loaded weight on the rear wheel, should assist in traction...
I am serious about this project please elaborate in your post.
Why is it better to have a bottle?
Is it easier to fill, or do you have multiple bottles do you swap them out? Is it better because you can take it off on race day?
Please anyone with a comment TELL ME WHAT YOU LIKE AND WHY YOU LIKE IT…

Slappy...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 05:43 PM

I don't know much about NO2, but if it's pressurized as i belive it is, I wouldent trust my swingarm to hold the pressure, Id rather have it in the approved bottle.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

First NO2 is Nitrogen Dioxide...
NOS is a brand name…
If the swing arm is sealed and pressure tested…
Let’s look at the mechanics of this...
If people use it for CO2... Shifter's etc...
Then it will hold Nitrous Oxide... the only difference is that N2O is a liquid in its compressed state, so you need a siphon tube…

Slappy...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 06:19 PM

Sorry mate, I diddnt know you had the whole sealed and prssure tested bit, carry on...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:44 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

I'm not educated enough to elaborate other than just the simple basics that Nitrous requires alot more PSI than Co2 and you'd most def have to have your swingarm done and tested to hold such pressure optimum PSI is 900-1000 .. heat on a hot day may become an issue causing your PSI to go well beyond this safe optimal range.. I have to purge my bottle when it reaches around 1100 - 1200 and that's with it only in the sun for an hour while waiting in the staging lanes and it's located underneath the bike in the middle of the swingarm somewhat shaded..

not sure on how a syphon tube would actually work in a swingarm since the Nitrous will travel within that swingarm once it begins to empty out so you won't most likely be able to make use of ALL the nitrous in that swingarm due to the gravitational force of it being thrown around in there.

bottles most often are upside down without syphon tubes or upright or on their sides with syphon tubes going to the most back part of the bottle so when the bike is going forward and the Nitrous is being forced to the back of the bottle then the tube will pick up what is being forced to that location within the bottle....

as far as filling.. I have a 2 lb bottle on the bike and a 20lb bottle I use for refilling.. I keep an extra 2 lb bottle on hand to swap out so that I can then refill the other bottle before it's needed again. Easy and quick enough to do.

as for fillin your swingarm.. you WON"T find any refill station to fill your swingarm. They would loose their license if they did and the liability of something happening is not worth their business. They will only fill stamped bottles. I believe the certification is good for about 5 yrs?? not exactly sure on that.. after that they have to be recertified and get a new date stamp before they will refill it.

also in order for you to do your own refilling.. the bottle doing the transfering has to be at a hotter temperature than the bottle you're refilling.. so you put the empty bottles in a cooler full of ice or your freezer at home... no idea how you will be able to acheive this with a swingarm.

bottles have safety discs that will burst if pressure reaches beyond 3000 PSI (I believe is the rating).. just a gauge for you to have some idea what your swingarm would have to hold safely... I'm sure the bottles must be rated for more than the discs.

also just a lil side note... to have 7 lbs of Nitrous vrs 2 lbs at your disposal at one time???.. not worth the hassel in my opinion.. I can easily swap out my bottle twice (3 bottles) and get the same amount of usage.... but that is just my opinion based on what lil I have learned this summer spraying at the dragstrip

sure someone out here can give you a more technical reason as to why you either can't or shouldn't....

E.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:50 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Quote:
Originally posted by TopSecret
First NO2 is Nitrogen Dioxide...
NOS is a brand name…
** snip snip **

alot of folks just for ease refer to it as NOS - not necessarily meaning the brand name of the bottles..

just to let you know.. so you dont' annoy yourself trying to correct everyone... I'm the worst for it

E.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:54 AM

Also adding weight to the swing arm results in unsprung weight, i.e. weight that the suspension cannot do anything about. The rule of thumb is that each pound of unsprung weight is worth about 7 pounds of sprung weight in terms of handling, so you are adding around 50-60 pounds to the bike once you count the fittings and all that.

However my biggest concern is safety. Swing arms get hot, the bend in flex under hard riding, and N2O is a flame hazzard.

Edit: Why not hide a small bottle in the trunk?

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode