Brake Lines - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Brake Lines

What kind of brake lines do you recomend for my 04 gsxr 1k?? i know there are diffrent kinds from kevlar to steel braided.. What brand is the best or the best bang for the buck??? I am just looking to put some on my front and rear..

Thanks..

04' Gsxr 1k

Show or go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 09:45 AM

I've used both HEL and goodridge, they are almost the same price, and on par quality wise. HEL is available in more colors, and you can get carbon fiber look sleeves if thats your thing. The only thing that bugged me with both of them is that they provide copper crush gaskets, which corrode with time. You can try to reuse the factory ones (Which may or may not seal again) or just order some from the dealership.

Oh, and I wouldnt waste my money on a rear line, unless you just want the looks. The added feedback just gets absorbed by the boot.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:04 AM

i ride Goodridge SS-braided front and rear. I wish I had done them separately to determine the benefit of the rear. Although I've heard it's not really necessary unless you're racing.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by JustLeanIt
i ride Goodridge SS-braided front and rear. I wish I had done them separately to determine the benefit of the rear. Although I've heard it's not really necessary unless you're racing.
My read from writings of Keith Code and Kevin Schwantz is that racers don't use their rear brakes (at least while actually racing), so I highly doubt they've got braided.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
My read from writings of Keith Code and Kevin Schwantz is that racers don't use their rear brakes (at least while actually racing), so I highly doubt they've got braided.
I've heard of some racing technique that involves dragging the rear brake on corner exit. I havent really understood the point, and the writing is very old, so it might not be applicable anymore.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 11:40 AM
Strength and Honor

And I suppose based on my logic, they wouldn't have a rear brake on the bike at all then, right? But the pictures I've seen of the MotoGP riders do include the rear brake (though its incredibly tiny) so they must use it for something, unless the racing rules dictate they have one. The tiny one would lend evidence to your suggestion Vash.

I think the statement Kevin made was something along the lines of, "Every time I've crashed in a race I had used my rear brake." It was a review of his racing school and a comment he made to the students. I'll see if I can dig it up tomorrow while I'm in the satellite office.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 04:26 AM
Strength and Honor

Here's the quote I was looking for
Quote:
Originally said by Kevin Schwantz as detailed in August 2006 Motorcyclist magazine:
I remember all three time I used it [the rear brake] in a race because I crashed every time! It's even harder to get it right in the wet. It takes conscious effort to keep my right foot on the ball of my fottpeg so I stay away from the pedal.

Last edited by kanwisch; 01-05-2007 at 07:23 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2007, 04:41 AM

The dragging the rear brake technique came out of "sport riding techniques", and even there it was briefly mentioned, and the author said to stay away from it.. unfortunetly, I gave that book away after finishing it, so I cant look that up

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode