Aftermarket Exhaust... a waste? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Exhaust... a waste?

I was discussing whether or not to put a full system or just a slip-on onto my 2006 yamaha R6 with a friend the other day. I was telling him that I didn't want to modify my bike too much (because i just got it) and that getting a full system would require a power commander and blah blah blah.

that's when he interupted me and got really upset that i was changing the pipe at all. he then lectured me about how the r6 was designed by engineers who put that stock exhaust on my bike because that's the exhaust that would help it "breathe the most correctly." he said "who are you to change that pipe. all you're gonna do is fuck up the technology and balance that went into designing that bike." He also informed me about the O2 sensors and what not on my Ca bike that would not be compatible with exhaust systems.

Overall, he made some valid (or maybe not so valid) points that scared me into believing that maybe changing my pipe isn't the way to go. I love the look and sound of an aftermarket pipe, but i don't wanna fuck my bike up.

will adding a pipe damage my bike in any way? what exactly do i need to add along with an aftermarket exhaust system to make it function correctly? what do you guys think? keep it stock? what about the O2 sensors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:55 AM

its good to see that someone is approaching the pipe subject from an intelligent stand point. Your friend is only partly correct. Yes, slapping a cheap pipe will ruin the performance of your engine. But at the same time, you dont see factory race bikes run stock exhaust. The stock pipe wasnt simply designed for the best performance, it was designed to meet emmision noise regulations. For this reason performance gets sacrificed some.
A quality full exhaust will almost certainly boost your performance. Bikes (most, with very few exceptions) dont have O2 sensors, they run on an open loop. for that reason it is necessary to use a power commander to adjust the fuel ratios.
With a quality slip on and proper programming you are looking at loosing a touch of low end in exhange for 3-4hp at the top. Just the PC itself is likely to even out the mid range, that if often retarded in stock form via ignition. Other benefits include sound and looks. Obviously a full exhaust is necessary for maximum gains.
When looking for a slip on, look for one that does not remove the exhaust butterfly valve. Almost all full systems remove the device, but that almost always costs you the low end. In addition look for a company that has racing expirience. Muzzy, yoshi, akrapovic, leo vance, arata, micron are good candidates. Avoid the places that concetrate on just looks (hotbodies) or just sound (DnD). And seriously consider a power commander (in fact I'm contemplating using a pcIII with a stock pipe to clean up the low end)

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

will getting a slip-on without a PC be ok? and by ok, i mean not damaging to the engine? i read searched about this topic last night and came across a good discussion, but unfortunately, everyone's feelings were mixed and there was no straight answer. i'm not really sure why i don't want to get a PC, but i think it has to do with the fact that it involves tuning fuel maps and a lot of intricate stuff that i don't want to mess up. i'm not looking to race the bike. i ride i mainly to work and around the local lake on the weekends.

this is the slip on i was looking at. i think it looks cool.

what do you guys think?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 11:43 AM

yeah your friend doesnt know what hes talking about i'll tell you that much, but i agree w/ vash

Definetly don't keep it stock!

Ferrari Fast!!!!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nick_OMC
slip on's for the 06 R6 are essentially a waste. i mean look at what you are actually buying....its a piece of tubing. tell ya what...do this...keep your stock exhaust and buy a PC3. Map your bike to run like a raped ape as a factory bike. or go with a full system (headers & all). you will have to get a PC3 to tune properly for the a/f balance. there are accomodations for the O2 sensor, yes the 06 R6 has one. Another benefit not yet realized to you is the weight loss you just achieved without even knowing it. As for the EXUP (butterfly valve) its there for nothing more than emissions. to add to Vash's comments, All slip ons for the 06 R6 retain the valve, and he is mistaken...you dont need it, you dont want it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baliwas
...this is the slip on i was looking at. i think it looks cool.

what do you guys think?
I think it looks like sh*t.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to JBaz
yup, utter complete shit.

California has had some stiff emissions laws for bikes at least since early 90's and more and more laws are following suite to the rest of the states. A few 06 bikes already have Cat converters and expect 07 to have even stiffer emission laws.

You can buy emission ready aftermarket exhaust systems from a few vendors (I believe Yosh has them) Doing performance mods and not getting your bike tuned correctly using a fuel management system such as PCIII, could lead to damaging your valves.

And I agree, your friend is talking out of his ass.

Proud owner of:
2004 Honda CBR600 RR - Stitched up
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Dad

On the street I'd leave it stock. The noise is the main reason to do it and that just attracts all of the wrong kind of attention, making everything you do seem twenty MPH faster than it actually is. Announcing to the world what traffic laws you just broke or worse yet, leaving that impression when in fact, nothing was done that was wrong.

The performance gains are marginal at best and the potential to screw it up is very real. I'd leave it alone and spend that money on tires, gear, and riding it, preferrably including track time. Before to look for a couple of percent in HP, learn to use what you've already got.

Obviously, JMO.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 11-20-2006 at 11:51 AM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 01:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to JBaz
^true

But I like the sound of an aftermarket exhaust, specially one that has a low tone/rumble.

And I love it how people bitch and moan about how we sound going fast when in fact I'd be stuck in 1st gear at 5500rpm only going 25mph...

Proud owner of:
2004 Honda CBR600 RR - Stitched up
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 05:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Nick_OMC
Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
On the street I'd leave it stock. The noise is the main reason to do it and that just attracts all of the wrong kind of attention, making everything you do seem twenty MPH faster than it actually is. Announcing to the world what traffic laws you just broke or worse yet, leaving that impression when in fact, nothing was done that was wrong.

The performance gains are marginal at best and the potential to screw it up is very real. I'd leave it alone and spend that money on tires, gear, and riding it, preferrably including track time. Before to look for a couple of percent in HP, learn to use what you've already got.

Obviously, JMO.

Loud pipes save lives.....or it helps in some cases at least. unfortunate that it does attract negative attention by police. I personally havent had any issues with cops and my exhaust, however it has saved me from being hit by a car...and all i had to do was rev it a bit.

only a few bikes have full emissions on them, the R6 is what we are talkin about in particular. if you take off the Ti canister that is on there right now, that is literally the equivalent of the akrapovic slip on that is pictured in this thread, the main bulk of the exhaust is upstream of that, there is the header/collector, into the catlytic (sp?) then the EXUP valve, after that is nothing more than a slip on pipe that is whisper quiet at idle, and loud at WOT....there is no in between exhausts on this bike, its either leave it stock or go full. Either way I think you should get a PC3 and some dyno time....you will be happy with your results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode