new turn signals - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

new turn signals

hey everyone,

i just installed new turn signals on the front and back of my 2006 yamaha r6. they look awesome, but i noticed that they flash a lot faster after being replaced. my friend says it's a good thing because it draws more attention to it. my concern is that i didn't hook something up correctly. what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:15 PM

If their working then I'm pretty sure you have everything hooked up right, when you change turn signals from stock if the new signals draw a different amount of current the speed of the blinking will change unless you have an electronic flasher on the bike.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to slick1537
They are blinking faster because there is no resistance on the line. I would suggest putting in the proper resistance because my new right rear one blew out shorting after instulation, causing the front right one to malfunction. Now my singals are all kinda messed up, im just gonna let a shop fix them this winter.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by slick1537
They are blinking faster because there is no resistance on the line. I would suggest putting in the proper resistance because my new right rear one blew out shorting after instulation, causing the front right one to malfunction. Now my singals are all kinda messed up, im just gonna let a shop fix them this winter.
how would i go about achieving the right resistance?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

actually... i found this article http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...light=resistor and it seems like i need a 570 or 680 ohm resistor.

i guess my question now is... do i really need to fix this? will my lights burn out if i keep it this way? will i damage anything?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baliwas
actually... i found this article http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...light=resistor and it seems like i need a 570 or 680 ohm resistor.

i guess my question now is... do i really need to fix this? will my lights burn out if i keep it this way? will i damage anything?
If your running custom assembled LED's then yes you need a resistor otherwise the LED's will burn (instantly if there is no resistor). If you have lights that were pre-assembled and made to be turn signals then you don't have to worry about them blowing out because they already incorporate a resistor, or at the very least the instructions had you install a resistor. Anyway if you want to slow the blinking down you have to add a resistor of the proper wattage.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 06:24 AM

Relax, if you had no resistors at all, the leds would've burned out before they had a chance to light up. Your flasher unit is the electronic equivalent of a seesaw with a bucket of water on one end. The bucket has a hole, and the seesaw changes states as the bucket empties out. LED's consume much less power than incandacent bulbs and thus "changing the size of the hole". You get the idea. If you dont mind them flashing faster, its fine to leave them just like they are, it doesnt hurt a thing. If you want to slow them down, get 4x 500ohm (or so, 400-700) 20watt resistors. Dont forget the 20watt rating, you do not want to use the little electronic grade resistors, they will not handle it. Then connect one resistor to each one of your lights, between the hot and ground wire of that light. Resistors are not polorized, so it doesnt matter which way you connect them.

The resistors should look something like this

As in big ceramic and beasty looking. I'm not absolutely sure about the 20watt rating (the pictured resistor is 10watt) but you should have a rating that is at least that of the incandacent bulb that was in there stock (more is ok).

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

perfect!

thanks for the help guys. I bought the leds as already made turn signals. I kinda like the fast flashing. I think it draws more attention to the bike... so i'm gonna leave it. I dont really wanna mess with wires and what not.

Thanks again. I'm new to the forum, and i just have to say that everything i've read (and i've been reading for 3 days straight) has been very informative.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 04:48 AM
Strength and Honor

My integrated tail light (meaning it has the turn signals in it) came with a resistor for this very issue and it did, indeed, flash really fast. I didn't bother putting in the resistor and when I got around to putting in semi-flush mount front signals, they must have had internal resistors since the rear now flashes that the OEM rate.

So there's the chance that if you do an aftermarket tail light that has an internal resistor that your entire system would revert to the stock flash frequency. YMMV.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

it might also be because i disconnected the light that lights up my license plate. i bought a fender eliminator for my R6 and have bolts with led lights in them, but can't install them until my plates come in. maybe the resistance will go back up when i hook up the lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode