Help with painting ! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Help with painting !

I have a '01 zx9r and want to paint the frame and swing arm black. How do I prep and what type primer,paint should I use?
thanks for all info..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 06:15 PM

First thing- which experience level of painting would you classify yourself in:

1) Near Pro level, but never painted aluminum
2) Mid level some shop experience, but not the main painter
3) Beginner or no exp. at all

The reason I ask is that aluminum requires etching before painting, and the materials used to paint alum. require some amount of experience as well as a good paint set up (in terms of equipment and work area). Once i know your experience level, i can answer your question with specifics and explain things in a way you will relate to.

Look forward to helping you with your project.

DT996
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help! I have absolutely no experience painting metal and want to get this right the first time if I can. So thanks for any advice!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 09:15 PM

Well here goes:

Look in your yellow pages and locate a PPG automotive paint dealer. Get these supplies:

Acetic acid 1 pint or quart should do frame and swingarm
Acetone to neutralize effects of acid etching (quart or more)
DX330 wax & grease remover 1 quart (use before etching and between primer & basecoat
1 quart self etching primer (gives you added protection for adhesion)
Sealer primer (pint or Quart)
Black basecoat and appropriate reducer 1 pint or quart)
Acrylic Urethane Clearcoat I prefer DCU2002 (buffs out great) or DCD35 (older product line but is great for use on areas that require a harder durable finish

All the products i mentioned are generally for use by experienced painters but you can ask for similar products in spray can form should you not have acces to good spray guns and compressor)

Start out by locating a sink or tub where the acid will not run directly into gutter or water sources. Clean frame and swingarm with DX330 after washing with soap and water. If you are dealing with a frame /swingarm that has good condition paint or powdercoating already on it, then you can skip the acid etching since it will already have been done at the factory. Otherwise, after cleaning with Dx330, aplly acetic acid & water (@ 50/50 acid to water ratio) either with a spray bottle or just pour a little at a time. Use a small scrubber (scotchbrite Red pads) to scuff the surface and aid in etching. Rinse with water efter completely treating all areas. Let dry and follow up with an acetone wipedown to clear any etching residue and neutralize acid.

You can primer once everything is dry, but for good measure, you should blow off all areas with high pressure air nozzle to avoid water bubbles under your primer. Apply two wet coats of primer fifteen minutes between coats. Most primers will need to cure overnight if you intend on sanding any dust or bumps, but if not, you can use your basecoat anywhere from 3+ hours after spraying primer. Lay two to three coats of basecoat black, or until you have good cover(hoprfully your primer is dark gray or black, which will reduce the needed coats). Let cure overnight and follow with claer the next day.

If this sounds like too much of a task, get yourself 3 cans of truckbed liner and get after it! Either way, good luck with your project and don't hesitate to ask away if you've got more questions!

DT
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info..especially being so specific! I'll post pics when I get it done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode