Convertibars - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Convertibars

Has anyone tried these on their bike? They look like an good compromise.
ConvertiBars

'Tell the truth and shame the devil,' my mom used to say, but she forgot that sometimes you can't shame Mr. Splitfoot sober. The Irish know, but of course they're God's white ni##$rs and who knows, maybe they're a step ahead."

Beer, of course, is actually a depressant. But poor people will never stop hoping otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 09:46 PM

After this weekends ride of roughly 800 miles on the 996, those risers look pretty good to my wrists right about now. What I am seeing though, is that they don't show them in full elevation at the windscreen. I barely have any clearance to work with, so they really look like they wouldn't work for me. They look pretty good and probably easy to install though
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

You really should check out the site they have a video of the transformation. They have a fit list and different degree bars to ensure they fit. This sort of thing looks like it would be the perfect mod for a SV650. Clipon style riding position one minute then a more relaxed position the next.

Here is an overlay of the SVs with stock bars and the more relaxed postion. Thanks to Prozac at svrider. I think I am gonna concentrate more on getting my 1st Svs then moding it right away.

'Tell the truth and shame the devil,' my mom used to say, but she forgot that sometimes you can't shame Mr. Splitfoot sober. The Irish know, but of course they're God's white ni##$rs and who knows, maybe they're a step ahead."

Beer, of course, is actually a depressant. But poor people will never stop hoping otherwise.

Last edited by Karmastuntra; 07-25-2006 at 10:30 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:45 AM

Neat idea, but damn they are pricey. I imagine a cast model would be in a more reasonably price range if you could make enough of them.

A few concerns:
1. Will the cables/hoses/wires reach in the relaxed position
2. Will the clip-ons strike the tank in the relaxed position
3. Seeing how the bolts have to be loosened for adjustment it makes it impractical to apply thread locker. Without thread locker, I'm afraid the bolts would vibrate after a while. I certainly dont want to find one of my clip ons coming loose while I ride (Take it from someone who survived a brake lever falling off at 80mph)

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash

3. Seeing how the bolts have to be loosened for adjustment it makes it impractical to apply thread locker. Without thread locker, I'm afraid the bolts would vibrate after a while. I certainly dont want to find one of my clip ons coming loose while I ride (Take it from someone who survived a brake lever falling off at 80mph)
WTF Vash how in the hell did you survive that?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 11:07 AM

First off, I gotta say that the whole thing was my own damn fault, and it was the time I learned that maintanance issues should not be put indefenetly.

Abit of background. The bike in question used a shoulder bolt as a pivot point for the brake lever. This bolt was threaded into the bottom side of the lever bracket (that black thing that connects to the clip ons) and underneath, on the remaining threads used one of those nuts with a nylon inserts. Well over time, somehow the nylon nut vibrated off. I noticed it, and meant to replace it, but never got around it.
So one day I ran into a coworker riding out on the street. He is a cruiser squid, and encouraged me to do the same, which I gladly obliged. So here we are racing thru town, I'm pulling what I thought were wheelies (a whole 2" I swear), weaving thru traffic, and generally acting like idiots. After about 10 minutes some part of my managed to figure out that it wasnt the safest of activities. So I pull over and ask my buddy is he wants to continue acting like idiots out of town. He didnt, so I went by myself. There is a stretch of road that connects the town to the interstate, about 2 miles long, and very streight. as I turned on to this stretched, I gunned it, redlining the first 3 or 4 gears. After feeling the thrill of acceleration, I decided to drop to legal speed. As I reached for the brake, I realized that something was very wrong, but could not figure out what for a few seconds, my mind was just not prepared to deal with a missing brake lever. After figuring it out I simply used the rear brake to slow down from some triple digit speed. With nothing but streight road ahead of me, it wasnt very difficult. Then I called a friend, had him follow me as I tried to get the bike back home using nothing but the rear brakes (He was there to keep other traffic away from me), and went back and walked the stretch of road for a few hours untill locating the lever. All in all, I received considerably more luck that day than my behaviour warranted, if the lever would've fallen off 15 minutes earlier I would've rear ended some car and got run over by a big truck or something like that.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 11:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to SepiasSoul
I take it this was back in your early days of riding? Vash riding squidly just sounds weird to me. I take it the lever didn't just come loose, but it actually dropped the brake line as well? That must have been a nice puckering moment.

Protect yourselves! The squirrels are plotting to steal our nuts!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 12:00 PM

brakes are hydraulic, with the lever pressing on the piston in the master cylinder. So there is no line to hold the brake lever in place, it just falls off. In other words, its not a BMX

But yeah, it was back in the days when I didnt think that helmets needed to be strapped down, and that the foam would magically hold the helmet on my head in the event of an accident that would never occur to me due to my invincibility, and god like riding skills.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 12:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to SepiasSoul
Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
brakes are hydraulic, with the lever pressing on the piston in the master cylinder. So there is no line to hold the brake lever in place, it just falls off. In other words, its not a BMX
LOL, I need to think more before I type. I knew that, I was just thinking about my clutch lever since I pulled that apart before. But since when do helmets need to be strapped down? I thought that it was Newtons 3rd law that helps us in a wreck so the opposite reacion of the helmet flying off would be us landing slower and softer

Protect yourselves! The squirrels are plotting to steal our nuts!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
LOL, I need to think more before I type. I knew that, I was just thinking about my clutch lever since I pulled that apart before. But since when do helmets need to be strapped down? I thought that it was Newtons 3rd law that helps us in a wreck so the opposite reacion of the helmet flying off would be us landing slower and softer
True, but only in physics expiriment land, where there is no air resistance, all ropes are inelastic, and all cows are perfectly spherical.

Far enough off topic. Convertibars damnit.

-—Theodore Roosevelt

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode