Custom helmets - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Custom helmets

I have a friend who is an art wiz she says if I supply her an airbrush she can do a custom paint job on my helmet or possibly my bike if I make it worth her wild. It seems like a good deal to me but is it even possible to diy a custom helmet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to SepiasSoul
I've seen it done before. I've seen a few expensive helmets that when they loose their luster, the owners take them to a paint shop and say coat em. Just use a mild paint that wont effect the plastic, and remove the decals and liner first. Sounds like a good deal though, hope it goes through!

Sepias

Protect yourselves! The squirrels are plotting to steal our nuts!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 11:57 AM

There's a member of this board (I think it's Inky), who does them.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
she can do a custom paint job on my helmet or possibly my bike if I make it worth her wild.
If you can make it worth her WILD! Go for it!!!

Seriously, if she's that good an artist, AND she has some type of painting background - let her rip! Just make sure that the helmet is prepped properly and do a thorough job of masking both inside and out. Stripping every last piece isn't always an option when painting helmets, so quality masking should be a high priority. For a good airbrush, look up coastairbrush.com, they have decent pricing on Iwata airbrushes ($169+) Good Luck

DT(thePainter)996
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 10:10 PM

I would say don't use any paint stronger than an acrylic (no enamel or lacquer). They may damage the actual integrity of the helmet, plus they suck to spray through an airbrush... Just the acrylic and then clearcoat. I'm no expert but seems right to me
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 02:43 PM

I had my tattoo artist do mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg face.jpg (2.1 KB, 183 views)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 05:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to UptownGrafx
helmets

Here are some of mine i did..

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 02:55 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to UptownGrafx
only thing though about buyin her a airbrush to paint your helmet, not every artist is good at every medium. not only that, it wil have to be cleared with the right stuff. clear out of a can doesnt last and scratches off ez

i can paint and airbrush, but you buy me a canvas and oils and brushes, and let me paint a family portrait for you, you might wanna beat me up after you see the outcome..lol but that same portrait done in a medium im good at, like airbrush, then im paint-god to you after you see the painting..

most good airbrushes go for about what was said here, $169 for an simple iwata. but add another $40 or $50 and you will have enuf to get someone like me to do something kool...

i use materials that are formulated to not mess with the integrity of your lid. waterbased acrylics dont hold up as well..even with urethane clear on it.

im not knockin a fellow artist, she may just give you what you are looking for, at the price that suits you.

good luck..post the photos when shes done..id like to see it

Last edited by UptownGrafx; 07-22-2006 at 03:00 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

She is alright, a little flaky but what art student isn't. After seeing a professional job I think I will hold off and wait for a pro to do it. She said the bike she could def do but the helmet might be too small for her. I think I finalized what I want done though. I was inspired by that movie Tuskegee Airmen.
I want my bike All sliver accept the the tail and the nose, which will be bright Red. With the air force star on the side. I want the helmet though to have the old shark teeth design.

Uptown what you say about $1500 for everything?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Karmastuntra
...I want my bike All sliver accept the the tail and the nose, which will be bright Red. With the air force star on the side...
A custom car God in Australia, Rod Hatfield, built a '55 Chev a few years ago with a similar theme. It's got airbrushed rivets all over it, making it look like it was made from sheets of metal, like a plane. The car gets even closer to the airplane theme, though, in the "engine bay". It's got, now get this, a V12 Rolls Royce Merlin engine from a P51 Mustang!!!!

Anyway, here's a link to the car if you're interested.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode