Here goes coat 1 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to SepiasSoul
Here goes coat 1

I'm about to spray coat one of my Metallic purple paint Wish me luck on it. I'm not using any hardner so I can take my time. Anyone know how long it would take to dry?

Sepias

Protect yourselves! The squirrels are plotting to steal our nuts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 10:48 PM

Weelllll, I sure hope it doesn't require hardener, or you may be in for a long wait. What kind of paint are you using?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 11:59 PM

why purple

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Its a full sythetic paint, and hardner is optional on it. The hardner was reccomened for use on metals because it creaters a harder paint coat with less flex, but since it was on my fairings I went without it hoping it would be better. Its all dried now, it took about 2 hours to fully dry. I choose purple becuase its my 3rd favorite color, and no one has purple bikes so it stands out pretty well even on the road. The silver primer I used gave it almost a two tone looking paint which I'm liking at the moment. Do you all have any ideas as two how long I should wait before sanding down the two peices that have minor flaws? Also how long should I wait before I compound them and wax them?

Thanks,
Sepias

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
I choose purple becuase its my 3rd favorite color, and no one has purple bikes so it stands out pretty well even on the road.
Start heading south east, Palm Beach - Miami, you'll see there are quite a few metallic nail polish colors like that around. I would go with 1st or 2nd favorite color of your choice, hoping it's not metallic pink or green.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Do you all have any ideas as two how long I should wait before sanding down the two peices that have minor flaws? Also how long should I wait before I compound them and wax them?
I normally give it one day (at least overnight) before sanding. If you only intend to use 2000 grit, then as long as you can touch the paint without leaving fingerprints or indentations, it's safe to sand. With the automotive Acrylic Urethanes that I use, I have buffed the next day with fine cut cleaner, and glazed, but I always wait at least three weeks to put any type of wax.

Gotta give the paint time to "breathe" out the chemicals that facilitate the actual curing. If you rush waxing, you may notice down the road that your paint tends to scratch (not deep scratches, just streaks) easily either with your normal wipedowns or just by hand contact.

I had a purple Katana 750 before - Black base with a purple pearl. The light/shade reaction was incredible. It's all about your own personal taste that makes it cool.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
Start heading south east, Palm Beach - Miami, you'll see there are quite a few metallic nail polish colors like that around. I would go with 1st or 2nd favorite color of your choice, hoping it's not metallic pink or green.
My first favorite is black, but in FL that makes for a damn hot bike, and my second is a dark red, which is what I'm planning on using as accent peices. I'm going to get several parts plated in a dark red to offset the purple.

DT996-
I went with a silver base that seems to offset the purple very well, especially on the edges right by sharp corners were the paint didn't fill quite as well. It makes a very good sutle contrast when looking at it head on. I'm planning on hitting it with 2000 grit tomarrow, since I dropped on anouther very light coat today and finished a few other parts. I had to sand off two peices almost completly due to a small paint spill on it... it made me mad because it was one of the best looking parts O well. If I wanted it to look perfect, I would have hired a professional. I will be posting pics either tomarrow or early saturday depending on when I get them back on the bike. I hope it turns out alright. My sisters friggin cat decided to shed in the garage last night so I had to pick a few hairs off as well... I want to shoot that cat...

Sepias

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

I just laid the final coat. I ran out of paint, but everything is covered well. There is only one obvious flaw I can find, towards the end of painting, right as I ran out of paint, a nice little drop of paint somehow shot out of the gun and created a nice little splatter right above my headlights... I well. Hopefully I can make it less obvious with 2000grit.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
I want to shoot that cat...

Sepias
Better yet, use it as a cannon ball. Load it up in your exhaust, put some nitrous on the carbs, and goose the throttle in 1st gear.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Why dont I just put the cats head in the muffler and do the same? That would be pretty damn funny...

Sepias

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode