Chrome wheels!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Chrome wheels!!!

I need a chrome plater in California who will plate Ducati 5 spoke wheels, any clues? I am in Sacramento and have not found a single plater willing to go at it.

The only guy I found so far that would, waited to hear "Ducati" sportbike wheels before quoting more than a grand to do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:10 PM

Probably because if they f*ck it up, it'll cost them a fortune to replace them.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to SepiasSoul
Try not saying Ducati, and just ask if they would be willing to chrome your wheels, and give them your tire size. If something happens they still would have to pay the full price to replace the rim anyways.

Sepias

Protect yourselves! The squirrels are plotting to steal our nuts!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Try not saying Ducati...

I first asked if they chrome Sportbike wheels, five spoked. First reply was either No, or hell no. The quote guy at first said yes, then just before he blurted his normal price which started with an "F" (four? five?), he asked what it was for. Then his price went to "T" (thousand! twelve hunnerd!) I hung up before he could trace my number and keep trying to suck money from me...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:29 PM

Sounds like your calling the wrong places. When I've asked around for powdercoating my rims, the never even ask what its for, just th size. But mabey in CA they are a bit different... money grubbers

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE]When I've asked around for powdercoating my rims, they never even ask what it's for, just the size. But mabey in CA they are a bit different... money grubbers
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a huge difference between powdercoating and chroming. Most shops said they weren't set up for Wheels at all. Others said they couldn't warranty the job because of the aluminum, and issues with peeling. Powdercoaters will strip your wheels and coat them followed by baking, but no polishing, except for the Candied look which is colored transparent coating over a polished wheel.

I'm tired of dealing with polished aluminum, even if it's hardened or clearcoated, it's still a pain for upkeep, considering none of my bikes have ever been trailer queens.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:58 PM

I know there is a difference, I didn't think that there would be a problem coating wheels though since they are smaller than a bike frame which I've seen chromed many times. Have you thought about doing some sort of silver/chrome looking powdercoat? I know its not the same, but it would be cheaper and look close. Just a thought.

Sepias

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

gotta have the chrome!

I don't know if you have seen the photo I posted of the paint in progress on my 996. I'm going Red with a black fade and I want my wheels chromed to set off the Candy Red paint. I was going to go Black powdercoat, but I figured it would dirty the whole theme.
After stripping the original dirty looking Gray Powdercoat off the Aluminum wheels, there's really no other look that I'd rather have than a little bling!
I'm prolly gonna paint em silver until I find a good plater (reasonable though) but I really wanted to get 'er done so's I can ride and never stop. you know!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 07:10 AM

Have you ever thought about trying to ship the rims to someone and having them do it? I dont know I would check the net for some places and start calling around. You might have to pay a bit for shipping, but if you cant find anyone to do it around you...?

Have fun, ride safe!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 08:09 AM

I always here good things about ChromeMasters out of Nashville.
http://www.chromemasters.com/

Have fun, ride safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode