Chroming Honda Parts - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Chroming Honda Parts

I have just finished going down the long road of getting my pegs, peg mounts, kickstand, and heel guards chromed. When it is all set and done it looks like I am going to have 85.00 invested at the chromer and 50.00 in gas for my pickup running around to get it all done. Here is what I learned if you are interested in going after this project:

1. Honda peg brackets and heal guards are clear anodized, kick stands are powder coated, and foot pegs are just aluminum

2. The powder coat can be removed with a wire wheel

3. The clear anodize needs to be striped off.....I would recomend finding a plating shop that will do both the stripping and chroming

4. The smoother you have them before you chrome the parts the better they turn out. The chrom does not hide any scratches, nicks, etc

5. Ideally you should get the parts stripped, polish them smoothe, and then get them chromed

Hope this helps if anyone is interested......pictures to come when I get the bike back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 09:57 AM

i just sanded them all down then polished them myselve alot cheaper and just as nice
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Well I do agree polished parts look good also, however I wouldnt go as far to say they look just as nice. I polished my rims, gas tank cap, clutch and brake levers, and bar ends. They turned out nice, but not as smoothe and shiny as the chrome. I suppose you may have done a better job at sanding them smoothe than I did though.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 10:35 AM

here my bike with all the polished parts i did. everthing was polished including the motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike 3.jpg (46.9 KB, 87 views)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 01:46 PM

That looks super-clean man. I really like the single seat, who makes the plastics on it, and do you like the quality? I'm gonna have to replace my plastics soon, still trying to figure out which company is the best.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 02:17 PM

the solotail is made by sharkskin. i did alot of fiberglass work on it to fit so close and snugg to the seat. and i had to make my tabs from my old rear peices work on this tail so it would mount in the same way. next time i would buy the right one. i bought that on ebay for 140. so it wasnt htat bad.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Well the project continues.....apparently the peg brackets did not strip so the chrome would not stick. HELP Does anyone have experence with this and if so is there something special that needs to be done with the peg brackets. The heel guards had the clear on them and they stripped / chromed fine. Maybe they need to be in the stripping tank longer. I am assuming that the stripping was a dipping process, didnt' see the guy do it.

I would appreciate any advice.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 06:31 PM

what i did was sand my pegs smooth. started with 150 grit and went up to 2000 grit. maybe try that see if it wil stick then
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Well today I blasted the parts in a sandblasting cabinet at work and brought them back to the chromer for about the 5th time. Hopefully all the coatings are off now.....I think I got it this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode