Air Horns for your bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Question Air Horns for your bike?

Has anyone every actually seen an airhorn setup on a bike? The OEM horn just isn't going to cut it for me...way too "mute" for lack of a better word. I'm all about making the cager aware that I am on the road with them (if that's even possible ). I ordered a kit to make my headlights flash constatly during the day and also ordered a kit for the brake lights to flash while braking. Now i'm looking for a LOUDER horn. I think this may be the way to go. I came across other links online about people setting them up on thier bikes but wanted to know if any of you or your buddies have done it, if so what do you think about them? Where they loud (the one in the link is 139db), easy to install, and more importantly effective??? Thanks.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 02:16 PM

You riding a gold wing? LOL Well you can put them on, where is the problem, no space.

CbrBob
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 03:04 PM

well I am not sure but having your headlights flash constanly doesn't seem legal, even if its during the day but don't quote me on it.

I realize that you want to be safe on a bike but IMO if you want safe you should stick with a car. I am not saying that your wrong for doing this stuff, but I think your going a little far with the horn and the head lights. The rear light is a good idea.

if you ride alert and ready you should be able to see everything coming, and thats about all you can do. just my

Last edited by Stillon2Wheels; 03-07-2004 at 03:06 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

No no Goldwing lol...the flashing lights are legal in all states during daylight hours. When I ride I ride like i am invisible...ride as though that cagers can't see me and always try to anticipate what they are going to do. When a cager has their window up and music on what are they more likely to hear..the typical bike horn or an air horn made for bikes (which would have to be small to be pratical) Stay safe. My
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 05:45 AM

They wont hear that either

The modulators don't flash the lights, yes thats illegal. They vary the voltage to the high beam so it gets brighter-then darker in a sine wave fashion, like a dimmer switch at home.

CbrBob
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 07:59 AM

check this guy out.....http://www.81x.com/bugman/gixxerprojects

click on the FIAM / WOLO link
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 03:55 AM

I have an air horn setup on my Gix 7fiddy and it is fricken loud. Bascially you can go to a local auto parts place and pick up a set for 15-30 dollars. I got a FIAM at pepboys and I am thinking it was around 20. Remove the tail plastic and mount the horn to the sub frame, so it is not showing when the plastic is back on. It will come with a wiring diagram, so basically follow that.....it may tell you to hook it to a switch.....some people add this, I bypassed it and hooked it to existing horn button....took the wires off the existing horn and connected the power side to the wire to the air compressor and taped off the other side. For the compressor, it is about the size of a can of Campbells soup, I had a perfect fit spot in the under plastic that slide next to the battery yet is isolated from touching it. After you wire...find a spot for the compressor....and mount the horn....then you need to route the air hoses, which is simple. The whole setup is simple.....the kits do usually come with 2 of them...1 horn is plenty, just toss the 2nd one aside.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:05 AM

I can vouch for Pete's (Ugly's) set up... It is LOUD AS FAWK!!!!!

After hearing his set up I thought about doing it myself...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Ugly, are those low or high pitched horns?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 04:01 PM

FIAMM horns

I once had a set of FIAMM horns mounted on my Ninja 600. Yes, they were fargin' loud! And yes, they definitely get the cagers' attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode