No SLip on question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

No SLip on question

here is the question.....i want to run my bike without the factory slip on for a school project using an decibel meter.....would it be bad for the motor if i ran her with out a muffler? when i say run i mean bring to redline in 1st gear...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 05:44 PM

i did that once and filed my plugs badly.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ohsoquik02
i did that once and filed my plugs badly.
im guess not a good idea....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioSolstice
im guess not a good idea....
Why would you file your plugs?

Revving the hell out of the bike when there is no load on it is not good. If you just bring it up to redline a FEW times (not keeping it there) you will be ok.

CbrBob
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cbrbob
Why would you file your plugs?

Revving the hell out of the bike when there is no load on it is not good. If you just bring it up to redline a FEW times (not keeping it there) you will be ok.
what i meant was taking the bike out for a 5 minute ride after being warmed up with out the "slip-on" on the bike....i never goose it to red line in neutral
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2004, 06:49 PM

Nah, shouldn't hurt anything, cept your eardrums. Drag and GP bikes are run without mufflers all the time. Residents may complain cause it's gonna be loud as hell. The can pictured is half size and it's louuuuud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0013.jpg (83.3 KB, 145 views)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ranger
Nah, shouldn't hurt anything, cept your eardrums. Drag and GP bikes are run without mufflers all the time. Residents may complain cause it's gonna be loud as hell. The can pictured is half size and it's louuuuud.
Yep, it's gonna be LOUD!

CbrBob
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 02:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
This might be helpful, this guy is a bike mechanic:

Quote:
"Well on any motor there is a such thing as tunable exhaust. Basically meaning you can do whatever as long as the appropriate adjustments are made. The exhaust uses sound waves to cary the exhaust out of the chamber at the appropriate volume and the appropriate speed. That being said how far do you what to go/ willing to spend/ what do you whant out of it. Are you going to weld somthing up your self?

Now taking the mid pipe off and running strait headers can be done with proper adjustments to the intake and fuel track. I have actually seen this produce a lot of power if done right, but includes valve timing (cams), ign. timing, and alternative fuels to keep detination at bay. Without these mods the motor will fry valves in stock form. Not good!

Those moto and superbike exhausts are super flowing for huge air fuel numbers. The Turbo as you probably know is just a recycler thus builds top pressure. So no need for back pressure.

All in all just remember the length and width of that performance pipe is proven to work and any changes to that will affect the porformance of said motor.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you need anything else or don't understand me"

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.

Last edited by wantanaprilia; 02-21-2004 at 02:32 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 10:09 AM

Re: No SLip on question

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioSolstice
here is the question.....i want to run my bike without the factory slip on for a school project using an decibel meter.....would it be bad for the motor if i ran her with out a muffler? when i say run i mean bring to redline in 1st gear...thanks
What kind of project is this?? Who can flood their bike first while going deaf? I bet you must like expensive repairs
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 05:13 PM

This'll reduce backpressure, less backpressure leans or richens the mix? If it richens you'd be cool but have to clean the plugs right? And if it leans you might burn piston-heads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode